Would a Chin Implant by Itself Lengthen a Round Face?

What other procedures in addition to a chin implant are often done to get a longer looking face? possibly liposculpting?

Vertical Chin Lengthening Requires An Osteotomy Not An Implant

+2

In the pursuit of a longer and less round face, changes in the chin can be helpful. Since the chin occupies the lower third of the face and is a projecting structure, it can definitely influence the appearance of the length of the face. However, to do so it mus usually be vertically lengthened not just brought horizontally forward. There are no standard chin implants that are designed to add vertical lengfth to the chin, so either a custom one has to be designed or a vertical lengthening chin osteotomy performed. If one's face is full enough, removal of part of the buccal fat pads with vertical lengthening of the chin can make a face longer and less full looking.

Chin implant for a more oval face

+2

Great question.  The answer is it depends and it can.  The chin has two dimensions or directions to go in for aumentation.  One is forward and one is down.  Forward, generally, helps a weak looking chin.  Down, generally, helps a square or round face look more oval.  Often you need to move in both directions.

Chin implants designed for that specific purpose certainly can make a square or round face longer and more oval.  I have had a lot of success with that evidenced by some of my before and after photos.

I will say that some of my patients really do need a sliding genioplasty to get the optimal result, especially if your chin have very little vertical height to it. 

You need to be evaluated by an experienced facial plastic surgeon who can tell you which procedure would work best for you.  It's infrequent that I have to make actual cuts on the bone.

Good luck,

Dr. Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lengthening a round face

+2

I find that more significant lengthening of the chin can be achieved with a sliding genioplasty technique. This involves making a cut in the chin bone itself and advancing it forward and downward to give a longer appearance to the face.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implants can improve lower facial contour

+1

There are two basic schools of thought regarding chin augmentation surgery (genioplasty). One involves cutting the jaw bone, shifting the bone fragments, possibly adding something between the bone fragments to lengthen the chin and securing the bones with plates and/or screws.  The other consists of adding a chin prosthesis on top of the bone.  The first is a bigger surgery with more pain and a longer recovery but can do a better job of lengthening the chin. An onlay implant can lengthen the chin to some degree and is a cheaper and easier surgery with less recovery but will not generally allow for as much lengthening.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

Depending on the implant design, you can choose some thay will increase the length some, as well as the projection. Cosult aBoard certified plastic surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery)