Chin Implant/Jaw Implant, Realistic Expectations? (photo)

My weak chin/jaw has bothered me for years and It's especially bad when I bite down. I now push my chin/jaw down and forward at all times in order to make it look like my jaw and chin are strong. I know some chin implants wrap around the jaw to make it more angular. Am I eligible for chin/jaw augmentation and is my 4th picture a reasonable expectation? The first 2 pictures are of me biting down. The third is how I hold my jaw normally. The fourth is how i'd like my jawline to look.

Chin/Jaw Implant Expectations and Other Options

+3

Form often follows function.

If you find that biting down causes your face to look deficient, there is a good possibility that the alignment of your occlusion, or bite, is off.  By working with an orthodontist and a jaw surgeon (oral and maxillofacial surgeon, or plastic/craniofacial surgeon) improvements to an abnormal bite can markedly improve the facial form.  Additional chin projection can even be achieved with a sliding genioplasty where your own bone is used instead of any implants.

There are pros and cons to either approach.  Take your time and visit several surgeons to gain a better understanding of what works best for you.

Good luck.

Realistic Expectations for Chin and Jaw Augmentation

+2

With a chin/jowl and mandibular angle implants you can achieve your desired results. Of coarse the final recommendations will be made after examination during consultation.

Custom Chin and Jawline Implant Needed For Ideal Result

+2

Your chin is both horizontally and VERTICALLY short due to an overall smaller jaw. This is to be differentiated from the more common chin problem of horizontal shortness. This is confirmed by the fact that when you slide and hold your jaw forward (down and out), it creates the look you want. While standard chin and jaw angle implants will be beneficial, they will not create your ideal result. This is because standard preformed chin and jaw angle implants do not provide the vertical lengthening that you need. In addition, they can not provide a smooth and continuous jawline between the chin and the jaw angles because they do not create any augmentation in the intervening body of the mandible area. For an ideal result, you will need custom chin and jaw angle implants made from a model that lengthens the lower jaw as well as make for a greater chin prominence. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin -jaw implant

+2

You can absolutely get the hypermasculine look you want with a chin and bilateral mandibular angle implants. The chin implant is done through a small chin incision, the angle implant through an inside the mouth incision.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin jaw augmentation real possibility

+2

To get the look you want you would need at least a chin augmentation probably with an extension and possibly even going to mandibular angle implants.  Discuss this with a plastic surgeon whose field of expertise also includes craniomaxillofacial surgery.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation

+2

I think you can probably get the look you like but there are several ways to get there and without an exam it's impossible to say which. Find a surgeon with experienced in BOTH chin augmentation and jaw advancementand let him determine what it will take to get the look you prefer.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Jaw chin implant and realistic expectations

+1

The pictures that you have included seem realistic. I would really talk to your doctor so that you are both on the same page. I spend a lot of time talking with patients to get an idea of what they want. This avoids a lot of problems after surgery.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant, realistic expectations

+1

Chin and jaw implants come in multiple different sizes and shapes.  The right implant for you should be determined at your consultation appointment with the surgeon.  The chin implant is placed through a submental incision, onto the bone to give the illusion of a longer chin and jaw line.  The jaw implant is placed through an intraoral approach over the angle of the mandible and gives a more squared jaw appearance.  Both the procedures can be done at the same time under brief general anesthesia.

Chin Augmentation adds powerful dimension for a male profile

+1

Your words "to make it look like my jaw and chin are strong" says it all. For a male, chin prominence is important for a strong and balanced face.

In the animal kingdom, humans are the only creature with a chin. In adolescent males, testosterone is what causes a strong jaw line & squared chin; estogen casues a smooth jaw line which is less well developed.

I perform chin augmentation with a small incision under the chin to lower the risk of infection. Silicone or other biocompatible materials are used for the implant. There is some swelling and slight bruising for the first week or so. The procedure is popular and has a high satisfaction rate.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon