Chin Implant or Jaw Advancement?

I'm a 25 y/o female, with a very weak/small jaw. The distance between my neck and end of chin is very short, but my chin does not look very recessed in relation to the rest of my face. I had braces, when I was younger to correct a moderate overbite (which seems corrected). Would I benefit from a chin implant to strengthen the look of my lower face? Or would a jaw advancement be better? What about a sliding genioplasty?

Chin Options

+1

Thanks for the picture.  It also depends on your occlusion or bite which really needs to be determined by a consult.  Aesthetically, a chin implant can improve the look of your face.  You need to find a surgeon with facial experience that you trust and have a consultation.  Let them guide you through these decisions.  Good luck!

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant versus jaw advancement

+1

A chin implant or sliding genioplasty would both work well to increase one's chin projection. Neither affects the allignment of the teeth (dental occlusion). An in-person evaluation is obviously needed to determine if more extensive surgery is needed to change the occlusion.

A sliding genioplasty can allow for more of an vertical increase in chin projection (if desired) in addition to forward projection. Chin implants mainly create forward projection.

I would recommend having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with chin augmentation procedures. I find that computer morphing during the evaluation allows for a great dialogue regarding how much augmentation is desired. This would help with the decision regarding which augmenation approach to use.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implant or jaw advancement surgery?

+1

The jaw advancement surgery is performed when the teeth do not fit correctly together. A chin implant is simply a cosmetic improvement of the chin to make it better balanced with the facial features. A chin implant is done purely for cosmetic purposes and it is quite simple and easy to do. It is done under local anesthesia and takes approximately ½ hour to perform. It is also completely reversible and can be removed if needed.

Chin implant or jaw advancement

+1

Based on the look of your side profile photo, it does not appear you may benefit from a chin implant.  It would be best for you to consult a highly skilled maxillofacial surgeon for any advice.  He or she will be able to give you the best information regarding sliding genioplasty or mandibular advancement.  Thank you, and good luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

A chin implant is a simple, effective way to improve your profile

+1

If you are not having significant occlusional problems, a chin implant is a simple and effective way to improve your profile.  Chin implant surgery is low risk and a much faster recovery that other options.  You need to be properly evaluated by a Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Cosmetic Surgeon, or General Plastic Surgeon.  Warmest regards, Dr. Pippin.

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Both will work

+1

Dear Jessie, a very intelligent question.  Let's look at this several ways.  If you are just looking at this from a cosmetic standpoint then a chin implant or a sliding genioplasty will work well.  There are pros and cons to each procedure which can be discussed with you at your consultation.  Just seeing this picture I would certainly consider a chin implant but not without examining you and evaluating your dental situation and face on views.  Sometimes I will even get a panorex before making a final decision.

If you don't have a dental occlusion problem there is probably no need to to a jaw advancement.  This is a much bigger more involved surgery that I would refer to the university setting for treatment by a plastic surgeon specializing in craniofacial surgery.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant or Jaw Advancement

+1

We appreciate the question you are asking, but this is a very high level decision that should only be made in an in person evaluation not over the internet!. Many examinations are needed and tests are needed in order to determine the better course of action. For example; occlusion and dental/panorex films, other type X-rays, facial evaluation. My guess is a bony operation but it is possible a graft or implant might work. Seek in person evaluations from boarded surgeons in your area. Thanks for the side view photo best of Luck. 

Chin implant, genioplasty, or jaw advancement?

+1

Thank you for the photo, this is helpful. You could perhaps benefit from an implant or a genioplasty. However, I could not advise you about the jaw advancement without an examination of your occlusion. If this has been corrected, as you state, and if teeth were extracted to accomplish this, then a sliding genioplasty could be a reasonable long term solution. The vast majority of patients prefer the short term recovery from a chin implant rather than the osseous genioplasty