Could This Be a Chin Implant Infection?

Hi, I had my chin implants done 3 years ago. 2 weeks ago started feeling pain when trying opening mouth wide. The pain is under my right ear.ENT told me it could be due to the orthodontic treatment dat I am undergoing and I did not tell him that I had chin implants done. Could this be due to implant infection ? What are the symptoms of chin implant infection ? Also, can orthodontic treatment of upper jaw effect the chin implant ?

Possible chin implant infection

+3

Although this could be a sign of an inflammed node secondary to implant infection, it is very uncommon. Typcially a chin implant infections present with immmediately localized infection, swelling, pain, warmth, etc

Chin Implant Infecions Are Very Uncommon With Most Types of Implant Materials

+2

Pain by or near the ear would not be a sign of a chin implant infection. Pain and swelling would occur at the chin area only not in other parts of the jaw. Orthodontic treatment, of either the upper or lower jaw, will not cause an infection of a chin implant. The overwhelming majority of chin implant infections, which are very uncommon, occur closer to the time of surgery not years later.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Consult with your Doctor

+1

You should consult with your doctor regarding your entire health history to make certain that you are healing as expected.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Painful to open mouth 3 years after chin implant

+1

It's unlikely that a chin implant would be related to the pain you describe. If you were to get an infection of the implant one would expect pain at the chin itself.

You may want to ask your orthodontist about the pain if you are undergoing treatment for this. Tooth allignment issues can cause pain like you describe.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Ear pain- chin implant infection vs TMJ problem

+1

It is rare for a chin implant to become infected without a preceding event such as direct trauma to the implant or a dental infection or abscessed tooth. When implants become infected it is usually obvious with localized pain, swelling, redness and sometimes a purulent discharge into the lower sulcus of the mouth. Your right ear pain is not likely a harbinger of an implant infection without other symptoms. Right ear pain would more likely be secondary to orthodontic manipulation causing a TMJ problem. Have your orthodontist evaluate your right TMJ.  Your orthodontist may already know about your chin implant if x-rays have been done.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Possible infection

+1

I would go back and discuss the chin implant that you for got to mention for more accurate management.

Best of luck

Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

Cosult your doctor. YOU NEED TO TELL YOUR DOCTOR YOUR ENTIRE MEDICAL HISTORY.////////////////////////////////