Chin Implant - How Should It Feel

I recently (3 weeks ago) had a chin implant inserted by a well known doc in beverly hills. It is now 3 weeks on, and I am back home in london, and have a few questions: (a) how should a chin implant feel? i am constantly aware that it is there, my chin area is pretty sensitive, and it feels like the implant sticks into my neck when I open my mouth wide to yawn. Is this normal? Will it go away? (b) if the implant is too long/needs to be repositioned, how soon can it be done, and does it mean I have to go through the whole process again, or is this much simpler? (c) i am still experiencing "crustaceans" around the incision site. how long can I expect this to go on for (it is day 19 since my op). Thanks. Dave

Recovery after a chin implant surgery

+3

Recovery after a chin implant surgery can very from patient to patient.  Typically after 3 weeks there should be hardly any discomfort, although one can still experience the "strangeness" of the implant, this should go away in 1-2 months.  No sure what you mean by "crustaceans", but the wound should be well healed by now.  Chin implants rarely get infected, but one of the presentations of low grade infection is non-healing of the wound and persistent mild discomfort.

As with any procedure, a surgeon should do proper planning for chin implant surgery.  This includes studying the patient's lower jaw anatomy, surrounding skin, etc.  This will allow for proper implant selections and proper surgical approach.  Even though chin implant surgery seems easy to do, it does take skill and experience to create a beautiful and proportionate Chin implant projection  and trouble free recovery.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Healing after a chin implant

+2

All chin implants feel tight and hard in the first few weeks. You have to realize that the skin and muscle layers have been stretched to make room for the implant and need time to feel normal – give it about 3 months.

Sam Naficy, MD

You are still early post-op

+2

Wiseguy,

Three weeks after surgery are are still fairly early post-op. Anytime you have an implant placed it may feel "strange" at first, since tissues are being stretched differently than they previously were. Also, you need to heal your incision and your dissection which should take 6 week to 3 months. If you decide to change the implant, I would recommend waiting at least three months, unless you are just going to have it removed and not replaced. In that case, you could do it at any time. Also, the second procedure will likely be less traumatic than the first.

Good luck, and I hope you find this useful.

David Shafer, MD

Normal Chin Implant Recovery

+1

Without an exam and seeing your op report specific questions can not be answered. However, I am happy to give you some guidelines.

Recovery from chin augmentation surgery will vary with the the type of implant and incision used, and whether other procedures were done at the same time. The chin augmentation recovery process is not considered to be painful relative to other surgeries; oral medication will control pain for the first few days, and after that no pain medicine is typically needed.

The evening of your surgery date, your lower lip and mouth may feel numb, as if you’ve been to the dentist. As sensation returns, your lower jaw will feel tight and sore from your body’s natural swelling response. It is at this point that you can take your pain medication,

if necessary. You are encouraged to engage in light activity.

If your implant was placed through an incision beneath your chin, the sutures (if they are not self dissolving) will be removed after 5–10 days. If your chin augmentation was performed through the mouth, you will be on a liquid or soft-foods diet for a few days while your mucosal skin heals. You will rinse your mouth out regularly to keep the incision clean. The sutures will dissolve on their own over the course of a few weeks.

You will experience an odd sensation in your chin for a time while your nerves return to their normal function.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Common Concerns, Be Patient

+1

Be patient. These are common concerns in the first few weeks. It usually takes 3 months to settle down. See your plastic surgeon regularly until everything is resolved. Wait at least 6 months before revising.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Recovery is variable after chin implants

+1

Recovery after any surgery can take a while. I would certainly suggest speaking with a facial plastic surgeon in London about your concerns as nothing will beat a physical examination to determine if some correction is required.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

What's normal after a chin implant

+1

The implant at three weeks should probably feel hard and woody underneath the chin area, and slightly swollen. It takes a few months to finally settle down. There is usually some temporary numbness around the lower lip and chin area. If the implant is sticking into your neck when you open your mouth that is abnormal and will not go away. It sounds as though the implant is probably misplaced. If the implant needs to be repositioned, it could be done at two to three months after the initial procedure. It is usually a simpler procedure.