Will a Chin Implant Help?

I have a very small chin that is off center and has dimpling. I believe this makes my asymmetry look worse in my jaw area on my right side, so could a chin implant help these problems, I've already had braces.

Chin implant surgery for a small chin

+1

Yes, a chin implant is an appropriate option for patients with a small chin. Silicone implants are popular for the chin and normally placed through a small incision hidden under then chin.

Another option would be a sliding genioplasty, where the chin bone is cut and brought forward. The last surgical option is orthognathic surgery where the upper and lower jaw bones are cut to bring the teeth into better position. 

The last option is non-surgical chin augmentation with a temporary facial filler, such as Radiesse, performed in the office in a few minutes. Asymmetry may persist with any treatment option and should be discussed with your cosmetic surgeon. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant for weak chin profile

+1

A chin implant is placed through a submental approach directly over the bone to give a bony augmentation to the chin area. Custom carving of the implant can help address the asymmetry may be pre-existing and mandible, but realistic expectations must be taken into account.  chin implant usually do  not affect a dimple. Please see the link below for more information about chin implants

Correction of Short and Asymmetric Chin

+1

When it comes to chin augmentation, the question is always whether an implant or a sliding genioplasty would be more helpful. That is best determined by computer imaging and looking at what dimensional chin changes need to be for the most aesthetic result.  Chin asymmetry poses a unique problem for chin and jawline augmentation that, depending on its location and degree,  may be treated by adding to the bone or moving the chin bone itself. You would need to submit pictures for analysis to obtain a more exacting answer.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant

+1

It could.  To get rid of the asymmetry the bone under it might need to be filed a bit.  Not a big issue usually.  The cleft in your chin will change little or not at all.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will a Chin Implant Help?

+1

A chin implant can typically improve the projection and symmetry of the chin. With regard to dimpling of the chin, this is usually treated with Botox to relax the muscle that creates the dimpling. A chin implant is placed under the periosteum which is deep to the muscle and wouldn't be expected to have any effect on the dimpling. I hope this information is helpful. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon