Is a Chin Implant a Good Option for Me?

I've had TMJ for years. I've also had a weak chin. I was diagnosed with ETD in my left ear a year ago but was provided no cause. My jaw joint on the left side is where I have mild locking and inflammation. My ear is still plugged and I am going to start diagnosis again next week with a different ENT. Is it possible that jaw surgery may be my best option if the TMJ inflammation is causing the ETD? How do I protect my ear and get a chin? Can jaw surgery correct both? I have a bite guard already.

Chin implant and TMJ

+2

From evaluation of your photos I don't believe you have a weak chin so aesthetically would not recommend a chin implant.  Placement of a chin implant would have no effect on either your TMJ pain or eustachian tube dysfunction.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant to help TMJ?

+2

Placing a chin implant won't do anything to help your TMJ or eustachian tube issues. If your tooth allignment is off (malocclusion) then formal orthognatic jaw surgery may be indicated. Your dentist/oral surgeon would be able to evaluate you to see if this is an option.

From the photo you submitted, your chin projection looks pretty good to me.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implant, weak chin? Maybe not

+2

I don't see a weak chin in the pics you provide, and I can't determine the jaw relationship.

Increasing chin dimensions, or even jaw dimensions may or may not have an impact on your appearance, that may not be favorable.

You may want to consider neck liposuction or nose shaping/reduction, as they will tend to accentuate your chin, which actually looks pretty good to me.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD