Is a chin implant a good idea? Or neck liposuction? (photo)

Hello I have this problem with my jawline that the left side of my face seems to be more defined then the right side. I feel that it can be an uneven jawline. I am not overweight and am very healthy. The left side is defined but the right side makes my face look fatter because the jawline is barely visible. I have this product called neckline slimmer but I'm not sure if that will affect it in any way. I had braces for 3 years when I was younger.

Is a chin implant a good idea? Or neck liposuction?

+1
Chin implant would produce a very nice change for you and improve facial balance.

+1
In general, a chin implant yields a fantastic result and helps strengthen the jawline. I would recommend a consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to advise you after performing an exam. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin implant

+1
Stevens23, Hard to tell exactly how you are aligned by your photo but it looks to me that you would be an excellent candidate for a chin implant. The implant will also help improve the appearance of your neck. Think of your chin as being the center pole for a tent; if the pole is in the correct position the tent canvas is taut, should you remove some of the pole the tent will sag. I would personally do your implant first and see how you look. Always easy to add neck sculpting should it be necessary. By the way in my practice these procedures are routinely done under local anesthesia with oral sedation. See an experienced facial aesthetic specialist and I'm sure you will have a positive result. See my web site as a good example. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Yes, I believe you are a good candidate for a chin implant as your chin is a bit recessed.  A chin implant will augment the chin and give it projection so as to balance the face a bit.  In addition, you could consider a bit of angularity to your jawline.  As for neck/chin liposuction, it is hard to say as your chin is pulled forward.

Chin/Jawline Augmentation

+1
You are in need of skeletal augmentation (chin/jawline implant) not any soft tissue work. The neck soft tissue concern will be resolved as the chin comes forward.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

No liposuction please.

+1
Hi Stevens23,

If you pinch the skin under your chin/neck, most likely you will not be able to pinch much fat.  If you have liposuction, now at such a young age, it may backfire in 3-7 years with loose neck skin, muscle bands/cord as you get older.

The photos that you attached are not good for evaluation.  It's true you can see your jawline on the left side; however, your chin is extended and you have a strong flash on that particular photo which will create more contrast.  The right profile photo is not in the same neck position.  If you keep your chin level, the jawline is less visible in general.  If you lower your chin towards your chest, you may even be able to form a double chin fat pad, but this does not mean you would benefit from liposuction.   The photos appear to be taken at different times and the right profile photo has a glare and the jawline would not be able to be seen with the glare.

As for the chin implant, ethnic faces (non-white faces) have a different esthetic.  The parameters for normal on a Caucasian face is different for different ethicities.  I am Asian, and Asian faces tend to have weaker appearing chins than their Caucasian counterparts.  I think part of that is due the the fuller lips and maxilla area.  This protrusion around the lips and mouth can make the chin appear weaker, since the lips are almost at the same level as the nose.  For Caucasian faces, often times they barely have any lips, and their nose appears much stronger since their lips do not protrude as much which also can make their chins appear stronger than someone who has fuller lips.  

Having said that, most men tend to be happy with chin implants.  It does add to the masculinity of their face, and is considered a high satisfaction procedure.  Risks to be aware of is chin implant shifting, possible infection, possible need for replacement, bone erosion from the implant rubbing against the surface of the bone.  This can cause the implant to be less prominent, than when it was initially implanted.

I hope this discussion helps.  Good luck

Dr. Yang

George Yang, MD

Chin Implant With or Without Liposuction

+1
A chin implant will definitely improve your chin projection and jaw definition. I cannot tell if neck liposuction should be done because your jaw is elevated in both your pictures. That can be determined with examination during consultation. Liposuction would be done through the same incision which is made for implant placement.