Chin Implant Gave Me Marionette Lines - Can This Be Fixed?

I had a chin implant done at 19 that was way too big for my face. Before the procedure my smile lines (when smiling) were a nice "C shape" but the surgery seemed to widen my chin muscles, causing the smile lines to become marionette lines.

I kept the implant for 10 years and finally had it taken out 1 year ago (& replaced with 1 cc of radiesse) but I still have the marionette's. Can this be fixed by tightening the chin muscles back into place? (when i pinch my chin in I look like my old self).

Marrionette lines not caused by Chin Implant Removal

+1

Unfortuneately, there's no surgical equivalent to you pinching your chin to remove the Marrionette lines.  You can fill in the Marrionette lines until your face is aged enough to have a minimum incision Face Lift to soften the Jowls.

Chin implant and lines

+1

A chin implant should usually not give you Marionette lines which come with age and sagging of the face. Possibly, the chin implant may have "stretched" out that area and after its removal you had some more excess skin. Autologous fat injections as well as various fillers should help. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Problems after chin implant

+1

You may want to consider an advancement genioplasty to compensate for tissue expansion after removal of the chin implant.  This may help with the perioral rhytids if done correctly.  Donald Nunn MD Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Say Good Bye to your Marionette Lines

+1

It sounds to me like you would benefit from more Radiesse for your chin and a filler for your marionette lines.   It is hard to say with out an exam or photos.   Have you ever tried HA fillers in your marionette lines?   Good Luck!   

Grant Stevens, MD

Marionette Lines

+1

Marionette lines are grooves  at the corner of the mouth within the lips.While a large implant could limit movement with animation, I doubt the chin implant caused your marionette lines. The best treatment of these grooves is augmentation. Tightening chin muscles will not help.

Marionette lines after chin implant removal.

+1

None of us can really give you a substantive answer without seeing at least a photograph or you in examination. Your soft tissue coverage over your chin implant (muscle, fat, and skin) had 10 years to accommodate to the presence of your implant before it was removed. 1cc of Radiesse is probably no more than 5-10% of the volume of the removed implant, but at age 29, you still have good tissue elasticity and probably do not have a "hanging" or "witch's chin." The marionette lines (subcommissural lines) that bother you can be filled with one of several filler options, fat grafted or dermal-fat grafted, but I doubt that facelift to tighten these tissues is appropriate.

There is no "chin tightening" option as a "standard" procedure in plastic surgery (including through the old incision), but every patient's exact anatomy has its own unique features and characteristics. See an experienced, ABPS-certified plastic surgeon for an examination and perhaps an innovative solution can be found for your concern.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon