Chin Implant Not Fitting Properly on One Side, Do I Need A Revision?

I had chin implant 2 weeks ago and I can feel it at the bottom of my chin.It has left a dime size indention by the point of the implant.I went to my MD and he pushed on both sides of the implant in an upwards movement (very painful)and told me I needed to massage it to smooth it out.He told me the massaging will put the implant back in a pocket(?)and that the indention will disappear.Does this sound right or does it need to be fixed with surgery? After his "painful" massage I still feel the tip

Implant Migration

+2

Implant migration can occur with any type of artificial implant. At just two weeks, I would certainly agree with your physician that conservative measures are best to try to realign the implant. In some cases, uneven looks and feel can simply be due to swelling which will resolve over several weeks to months. If this does not work, revision surgery can always be undertaken but I would only use surgery as a last result.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Malpositions Usually Require Revisional Surgery

+2

Since it has only been two weeks after surgery, I would give it more time for all the swelling to go down and you have an exact idea as to where the chin implant is. You may be feeling swelling and other tissue distortions so soon after surgery. As a general rule, there is no such thing as massaging a chin implant back into place. The pocket for a chin implant is very small and, once the implant is positioned, it can not really be changed by any outside manipulation. If you still have the same concerns six weeks after surgery, I would discuss this with your surgeon and a revisional surgery may be needed if it doesn't look or feel right. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Massage the chin implant?

+2

Painful or no, I definitely would listen to the advice of your surgeon.  Certainly, if you can massage the implant back into the surgically created pocket, this would be far better, and less risky, than considering additional surgery.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon