Should I Get Chin Implant or Fillers? (photo)

I have been unhappy with my chin for a while now. I'm slim but have this pocket of fat under the chin which I am getting lipo'd in a couple of months. However, the surgeon recommends I get a chin implant too. My chin isn't majorly receded but im unsure if fillers will achieve the look i want & they dont last long plus i heard horror stories about permanent fillers. Judging from my photo, do you strongly recommend I just go for the implant or get fillers? I'm so torn as to what to do!!!!

Chin implant much more effective than fillers

+1

The big advantage of a chin implant over fillers is that it has real structure. Its no just a gel that sits as a globule of gely under your skin. An implant is solid and has a well defined shape that will not only project your chin and sharpen your jawline  but will also help tighten the skin below your chin where you are planning to have liposuction. The implant can be placee throught the same incision point that you will need for your liposuction so it would make sense to do them both at the same time if you need the chin projection.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I Get Chin Implant or Fillers?

+1

From the photos provided, your chin is very weak.  Chin Augmentation with a Chin Implant would balance the lower face.  

Should I Get Chin Implant or Fillers?

+1

The chin implant will be a better choice than fillers to meet your demands in conjunction with your submental liposuction.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin Implant or Fillers

+1

A chin implant and submental liposuction will provide a better long lasting result. However, if you do choose to treat the weak chin with injections, consider the use of fat rather than fillers.

Chin Implant and Submental Liposuction for Profile Improvement

+1

You should not be torn between an implant vs. fillers for your chin. A chin implant for you is far superior than fillers when you have your degree of horizontal shortness. A chin implant will be a nice complement to your submental liposuction and is actually more important in terms of a profile change.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Filler for chin enhancement

+1

I do a lot of fillers in addition to surgical chin augmentation, and I like the fillers for the right person.  Based upon the one image you have submitted, it appears as though you have significant deficiency in vertical, horizontal, and anterior projection dimensions, and as such, I don't think you would be satisfied with filler injection.  I would recommend an extended anatomical implant to augment your chin and produce better facial proportions.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Should I Get Chin Implant or Fillers?

+1

In my opinion based only on the submitted photo and info. I recommend medium chin implant with sub mental liposuction. Best to seek additional in person opinions! 

Should I Get Chin Implant or Fillers?

+1

I would agree with your surgeon that a chin implant will improve the balance of your lower face and contribute to the improvement in your neckline following liposuction. You can choose to have a filler such as Radiesse and expect about 12 months of improvement. However, if you are undergoing liposuction, it does not take much additional work to place a chin implant which will provide permanent improvement. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant versus fillers

+1

this is a very good question the patient asked frequently. The reality is, while fillers can give a nice improvement, it will give you the same improvement that is lasting like a chin implant will. Furthermore, the feel of the chin implant will feel and look more natural compared to the filler. That being said I use fillers all the time for the chin and it's great. In your case I would recommend a chin implant.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers can acheive about 65% of the augmentation of a surgical chin implant

+1

I agree with your surgeon's recommendation for chin augmentation.  I have often said, "A strong chin is key for the attractive face!" The question is, what will be better, a surgical implant or non-surgical treatment with fillers?  Here are some points to consider:

1. A surgical chin implant procedure will give superior results for moderate to severe microgenia.
  2. Fillers can achieve about 65-70% of the results possible with a surgical implant.
  3. The most effective filler for chin augmentation is Radiesse, it has the most, "umph" and gives the most support.
  4. Artefill, a permanent filler is an option, but doesn't give the lift and support than Radiesse gives.
  5. Chin implant surgery is a minimally invasive procedure taking about an hour with a 5-7 day recovery.

In your case, chin implant surgery will probably be the better option.  If you aren't certain you can always try the fillers as a test run, or even ask your provider to inject saline into your chin for a very temporary, 'preview' of an augmented chin.

Good luck!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon