Is a sliding genioplasty more successful than a chin implant?

I have a weak chin & i have consulted 2 PS so far and both have advised against chin implant citing high failure rate. Is it really that common for silicone chi implants to fail? The other alternative is sliding genioplasty but I hear its much more invasive and painful(recovery) procedure. I am based in India. Is it about the implants that we get here? If that's the case, can you recommend a brand in the US with better results. I can have my cousin get it for me and mail it here in Mumbai.

Chin Versus Genioplasty

+1
You have been misinformed.  It is unfortunate that since some doctors don't do chin implants that they berate them.  I have placed over 300 chin implants with only 2-3 infections over 20 years.  It is very safe and effective.  I also perform genioplasty which is more complex, more surgery, more recovery, more expense and hard to reverse.  I only perform genioplasty on patients that need their chin set back or need increase in vertical length.
In reality, they are both common and good treatments.  One is simply easier than the other.  To say that they have a high failure rate is simply untrue in trained hands.  I personally have cheek implants and have placed silicone chin implants in multiple family members and friends over the years.

Joe Niamtu, III DMD
Cosmetic Facial Surgery
Richmond, Virginia
niamtu@niamtu.com

Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin Implants vs. Sliding Genioplasty

+1
Chin implants have a very low rate of complications and 'failure'. High failure rates in chin implants are technique related not due to the implant material. Sliding genioplasties are not necessarily more successful than chin implants but are used for differing chin needs. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1
Sliding genioplasty is more successful only in the context of vertically lengthening the lower 1/3 of the face. If the goal is to project the chin forward then a chin implant is highly successful. There is the risk of malposition of the implant or infection but this is relatively uncommon in my Denver practice. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants

+1
Chin implants are excellent procedures for increasing chin projections.  When performed by a well trained, board certified facial plastic surgeon, they do not have high failure rates.  Genioplasty is a much more aggressive approach, and much more invasive with increased recovery time.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon