Possible to Adjust a Crooked Chin Implant?

I had a chin implant and neck liposuction 3 years ago and the implant was placed in crooked. The Dr. said that he couldn't see it and to give it some time. It is still the same and looks terrible in pictures. I can feel that it is under my jaw on one side and above my jaw on the other side. My neck under my chin is still quite numb, blotcy and extremely dry. I am very concerned about wrinkles and saggy skin since the surgery. Please help!

Can the implant position be adjusted or will it have to be removed/replaced?

Crooked chin implant should be removed and repositioned

+2

It is difficult to ascertain from the pictures, but if the chin implant is placed in a crooked position it can be simply removed and replaced in the proper anatomical position. The proper position for the implant is to be placed underneath the periosteum of the chin area through a submental incision. It is also important to make sure that preexisting chin implant is the proper size for your facial features. There will not be any wrinkles and sagging skin from around the chin implant even if it were just totally removed. The same implant should be able to be reused if it is the right size.

Recommend waiting perhaps six months

+2

After three years, if your chin implant is crooked, I recommend that the implant be
removed. Next, I recommend waiting perhaps six months. The desired prominence of the chin may still be present and it is possible that there will be better symmetry of the chin at that time. If the desired prominence of the chin is not present, or if the chin does not appear to be symmetrical at that time, consideration could be given to replace the chin implant in a manner that will achieve the desired results

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked chin implant and neck liposuction

+1

Thank you for the photograph! I would replace the chin implant with an anatomic implant but first I would create a satisfactory SYMMETRICAL pocket for it. We stabilize our chin implants with microscrews so they dont move. As far as your neck, it appears that there is residual excess fat present on the right side below your jawline.I would like to see a profile photo (side view) which might give me a better assesment of your skin tone and shape. Touchup liposuction may help.

Burr Von Maur, MD

Chin implant adjustment

+1

Malposition of chin implant can be corrected.

In the picture the implant seems more promenant to the left.

Depending on the type of implant one can correct the pocket. Also in the picture you are smiling, and the deformity could be due to abnormal muscle movement.

See a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON for full evaluation and recommendation.

Typically, a crooked Chin Implant would need to be replaced.

+1

If you feel the implant below your jaw on your left, and above your jaw on your right, then this may require surgery. I'm not sure if a surgical repositioning of your implant is possible to achieve; I think the left side will continue to drift down. It's probably best to remove it and replace it at a later date.

Do you only see the asymmetry when you smile? Has your smile changed after your Chin Implant surgery? If so, it may be worth investigating a Botox treatment to your right chin.

Feel free to email me additional photos and information, and I'll be happy to share my thoughts with you.

I hope you find this helpful.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant malposition

+1

I can only see the front view, which demonstrates clearly to me that the implant is too far to your left. The implant may also be a bit too large.

You need to visit with a ps, perhaps a second one. If the implant is a good size, then it MAY be reused, but depending on the type of implant and condition of the implant, a new one may be needed.

I don't see redundant skin but this may be helped with a neck lift.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Correcting a crooked chin imlant

+1

Yes you can correct a crooked chin implant. This is usually done by removing the implant via the original incision, re doing the pocket under the skin and on top of the jaw bone. The implant is then replaced with an anatomically shaped implant that will conform to your jawline. The key is the redo of the implant pocket in the correct position. This all can be accomplished under local anesthesia. I hope this was helpful.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon