Can a Chin Implant Be Custom Fit?

If I get a radiesse chin augmentation for a year and I like the shape of the chin, can the plastic surgeon make the same shape with a permanent implant when the year is up or is the permanent chin implant a prefabricated material that can not be contoured?

Chin Implants Can Be Shaped

+2

Chin implants can be shaped. They can also be custom manufactured. In addition genioplasties using your own tissue (bone) can be performed to create just the right look.

The key here is that the amount of injectable does not directly translate into the volume of the implant (or the shape for that matter).

It is important for you to take photographs of how you looked before your injections and after and use this as a guide to discuss what you didn't like about your profile and chin shape prior to the injection and what you feel has been improved by the injection.

This will insure that you and your provider have a common frame of reference. This is even more critical if you are planning on going to a different surgeon for your future procedure.

Be sure to seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon.

Not quite comparable...

+2
I agree completely with what has already been replied. The only thing I would add is that Radiesse and chin implants are not comparable. It is best to decide what you are looking for and go with the best suited modality. Chin Implants are excellent for adding significant volume, projection, and shape. Radiesse does this but to a lesser degree. It can achieve minor augmentation but is much better at improving contour and filling in contour irregularities.
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Customized chin implants for chin augmentation

+1

I customize my chin implants to  fit the natural proportions of the chin and jawline.  This adds a unique and natural look to the chin and lower face.

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/face/26/chin-augmentation.aspx

Custom Fit Chin Implant?

+1

Chin implants come in many sizes and shapes. Most of the time your surgeon will be able to use one of these implants with great success.  The surgeon will consider the size and shape of your existing chin and use an implant to achieve the best results.  If for some reason non of these available implants are right for you, your surgeon can have a custom implant made.  There  usually is an extra charge for a custom chin implant.

Customizing chin implants

+1

There are numerous chin implant styles on the market made of various materials such as silicone, gortex, and medpore. Most come in additional size gradations (small, medium, large, etc) as well. In addition to this, many surgeons, myself included, will also further customize the implant at the time of surgery by carving it. This allows for fine tuning based on pre-existing asymmetries.

Beside chin implantation, another technique for improving chin projection is sliding genioplasty. This involves making cuts in the bone of the chin, advancing it in to the desired position and securing it there with a small titanium plate. Like with an implant, pre-existing asymmetries can be accounted for with this method. If indicated the vertical height of the chin can also be improved, which isn't possible with chin implantation.

Using pre-operative computer imaging you and your surgeon can determine what changes are desired and attainable. 

Custom or Standard Chin Implant

+1

There are probably 50 or more "standard" chin implants on the market.  These implants have "sizers" which are essentially identical to the real implant.  These sizers can be placed during surgery and evaluated for shape before choosing a final implant.

If a standard size isn't quite right, a standard implant can be hand carved to modify the shape as desired.  Starting from a standard implant that is closest, minimal adjustment is likely.

If you have a significant custom issue like severe asymmetry, a truly custom implant can be made.  In this situation, a CAT scan is done from which a model of your jaw is made.  A special clay is used to create an implant off of that jaw bone model.  This clay is then sent to a company that casts it into the final implant.  Needless to say, this is a much more expensive option and rarely necessary.

Web reference: http://www.dr-apo.com/surgical-procedures/implants/

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants Are Customized

+1

With chin implants, there are many types of materials available. Regardless of the type that a surgeon uses, the implants can be carved at the time of insertion.

Web reference: http://innovationsfps.com/procedures/mentoplasty.html

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Custom chin implants

+1

I always customize chin implants for each patient. The nice thing about chin implants is that they can be custom ordered as well as further carved to the precise size and shape needed.

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/chin_augmentation.php

Custom fit chin implant

+1

Yes, your chin implant can be and should be custom designed or contoured for you.  I would advise against the Radiesse augmentation if you and your surgeon are confident that a chin augmentation would improve your profile.  You will end up spending more money for the 2 procedures than if you just moved forward with the chin implant.  Also, you cannot truly compare the results of the Radiesse augmentation to the chin implant. 

The chin implant can always be removed if you decided it was not the result you were trying to achieve however I feel comfortable telling you that you will be most likely be happy with the results and will not want to have it removed.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants are custom fit.

+1

Hi.

1)  First, we put disposable temporary sterile implant SIZERS into your chin, to see which looks best.

2)  Then we carve the actual implant so that it creates the best contour.