Chin Implant for a Teenager?

I've always been extremely self-conscious about my face, which has a sort of saggy appearance. I am seventeen years old, which I have been told is a bit too young (growth-wise) by my parents. They do not favor the idea of me having cosmetic surgery but know how self-conscious I am. My chin recedes a lot and is extremely short. Would I benefit from a chin implant? I have contemplated this for a long time and feel guilty since my problems are so minuscule compared to problems of others, but I have decided that I would feel much more confident.

Chin implant at 17

+2

At 17, you need your parent to be with you for an exam from an experienced surgeon. In general terms, we check patients for orthognathic (bite) issues first, and if that needs correction or if the patient does not want that worked on, then we discuss chin implants. This is a relatively easy procedure to tolerate. We prefer to do this after facial development is complete, which is usually the case at 17 in young women.

Hope this helps.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Aug in Adolescents

+1

Most chin aug procedures are done on adults when final chin growth is finished. However in certain cases of malocclusion and undergrowth that is severe it may be warranted

Teenager too young for a chin implant ?

+1

Chin implant surgery is often performed on teens, just as we do rhinoplasty surgery.  It is an out patient procedure and you appear to be a good candidate for this procedure.

Your chin is not going to change (ie. grow further ) at 17, and this is not something you can diet and excercise to improve.  So you must decide to either live with what you have, or undergo a surgical procedure.  This has one of the shortest recoveries of any operation I perform.  

Web reference: http://www.antell-md.com/newyorkplasticsurgeon/chin_implants_nyc.htm

Chin Implant for Teenager

+1

Judging from your photo, you are a good candidate for a nice, well-placed chin implant. The stronger chin would give better balance to your profile. In addition, I would recommend that you consider a carefully performed conservative liposuction of your neck just under your chin (submental area).

This liposuction procedure would further improve your profile and create a better angle between your chin and your neck. In my aesthetic judgment and experience, the chin region is among the most important cosmetic features of the face. When there is a receding chin, I almost always recommend enhancing the contour in this region. As a female at age 17, you are physically mature to have the procedure performed.

Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Okay to have chin implant at 17 years of age

+1

Indeed, according to the pictures, your chin is quite retrusive relative to the rest of your facial features. A small or medium-sized chin implant placed in the submental crease underneath the chin would be an excellent procedure to improve your facial balance. This can be done under a local anesthetic as an outpatient procedure. Seventeen years of age is an acceptable age and your chin has quit growing at this point.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Chin Implant Will Improve Profile

+1

As other posters have noted, I think that it is very clear that a chin implant (Mittleman pre-jowl anatomic implant) would improve your profile. Generally speaking, surgery on the nose and/or chin is best approached after puberty. This allows for adequate growth and development of facial structures. At age 17, this has happened in the majority of women. However, it is always better to stay on the safe side of caution and waiting until your 18th birthday is probably what I would recommend (after a complete history and examination).

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

A chin implant can improve you facial symmetry and projection

+1

Hello - At 17 and from your photo you are a good candidate for an implant.  However, you'll need your parents' permission at this age as well.  The entire procedure takes about 2 hours and is very well tolerated with minimal pain and downtime.  The cost is also very affordable as many offices offer financing.

Web reference: http://www.DrSchreiberPlasticSurgery.com

Bone surgery or chin implant?

+1

The choice for implants or bone surgery will depend on your occlusion. This will be evaluated by your surgeon. In the USA, a consent must be obtained from an adult. Therefore, your parents must agree.

Chin augmentation in a teen

+1

Growth wise, you are good to go. You're mature for your age, and you seem to have this thought out, so that shouldn't be a problem.

On evaluation, what will be important to check is your occlusion (how the teeth fit together), you nose, you jaw length, as well as your chin.  You may need to visit an oral surgeon or an orthodontist.

Web reference: http://mykasden.com/casestudy.cfm?id=10

Chin implant

+1

Your parents are correct about waiting until the bone structure of the face has matured and finished growing. Usually 18 years of age is considered nature as far as bone structure is concerned.

Looking at your picture you could probably benefit from a chin implant to give the jaw more prominence and balance the profile. The only thing that can't be determine from a photo is whether your occlusion (how the upper and lower jaw fit together) is normal. If not this should be addressed prior to considering a chin implant.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.