Chin implant asymmetry due to swelling or malpositon?

I am 9 days post op for silicone chin augmentation inserted under chin (medium size 3 extended anatomic). Swelling and bruising recovery is awful but am noticing slow improvements. I am now concerned about asymmetry that I'm hoping is due to swelling, as day 1 post op pic does not show this asymmetry but day 9 pic does. Should I see it decrease and become symmetrical soon or is the implant malpositioned?

Chin implant asymmetry?

+1

An exam would be necessary to provide you with the best advice, and it is too soon after surgery to come to conclusions about the result. 9 days is still soon after your procedure and there will be swelling present that can influence the appearance of your chin. I would recommend following up with your surgeon and having the area examined, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

+1

Have you seen your surgeon??? post operatively??? It appears as the implant has possibly slid...////

Asymmetry after Chin Augmentation

+1

At this early point after surgery, it is too early to judge the symmetry of the chin augmentation result. You need a minimum of 6 weeks and ideally 3 months to assess the final result of any facial implant surgery It takes the tissues that long to completely adapt to the new contours.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin Implant Asymmetry

+1

There is a significant difference when comparing the 2 photos. It is difficult to determine if it is just uneven swelling (or hematoma or seroma) or if the implant has shifted. An in person examination would be needed. If it is just swelling, then the asymmetry will most likely improve. This can take several weeks to months to completely settle. I would recommend you see your surgeon for evaluation. Thanks for the question.

Steven Svehlak, MD

Chin implant asymmetry

+1

Without examining you, there is no way to know for sure if the asymmetry of your chin is due to the implant or to swelling. I would say that given the fact that your chin looked symmetric at day one post op, the chances are good that your current asymmetry is due to swelling. At 9 days after surgery, the swelling should be improving however, so I would contact your surgeon if you're concerned to see if an examination is needed.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon