Chin Implant And/or Jaw Advancement and Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I hate my nose and want to make it narrower and have the tip raised. I also hate how small my jaw and chin are. The lower portion of my face is tiny. I basically want to make my face longer, so do i need both procedures, or one or the other, or what do you recommend. Also i feel like the distance between my nose and lips is really small, can that distance be increased? I just turned 18 and am really skinny, so if i gained weight, would my jaw get bigger & face get bigger? What do you suggest?

Teen Chin Implant And Rhinoplasty

+1

Based on your post and the photos you have attached, it is hard to provide you with definitive solutions; an in-person evaluation is imperative to be able to know your goals and to assess your facial components thoroughly. 

With that perspective, it is after the consultation with your surgeon that you will have enough information to be able to make a well-informed decision to whether chose either one of the surgeries or both.

Objectively, addressing your chin and your nose will provide you with a larger range to establish aesthetic harmony and enhance your facial features.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Chin implant and rhinoplasty

+1

A chin implant, which can be done under a local anesthesia gives a nice chin augmentation and takes about a half an hour performed in our surgery center.  An incision is placed in the submentum and a chin implant is placed over the mandibular bone.  A rhinoplasty procedure is performed under general anesthesia.  The tip can be refined, nostrils narrowed, and nasal bones narrowed through osteotomies.  If the chin implant and rhinoplasty are performed together, both would be performed under a general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure in an ambulatory surgical setting.

For some a chin implant betters the results from a rhinoplasty

+1

This question is not uncommon among patients requesting rhinoplasty procedures.  The general proportions of the face need to be balanced for a good aesthetic outcome.  The lower face including the lip and chin are an integral but sometimes overlooked part of this balance.  Augmentation of the bony chin either with an implant or a bone sliding procedure can improve the outcome in a patient requesting rhinoplasty.  It is important to see a plastic surgeon with experience in these areas to ensure a good outcome.  As far as short upper lips are concerned, this is sometimes related to a long maxillary (upper) jaw, which requires consultation with an orthognathic specialist.  Many plastic surgeons perform this type of surgery as well, but if there is not one in your area that does this then an oral surgeon can be of help in the overall surgical plan.  By age 18, there is unlikely to be much change in the overall proportions of the bony face in a normal healthy individual.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to give you advice without considering whether anything needs to be done with your teeth and jaws. Your lower and mid facial structure suggest that you may require either orthodontic treatment or even jaw surgery, known as orthognathic surgery, done in order to give you the proper facial appearance as well as function.  It is worth consulting with an orthodontist in addition to a plastic surgeon to see if this pertains to your situation.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Facial Aesthetics

+1

Narrowing your wide nose and increasing the projection of your receding chin will improve the facial balance you want. An experienced facial surgeon can review all your alternatives so you can achieve the look you desire.

Decisions on nose and chin

+1

See a surgeon who offers computer imaging. You and the surgeon can then see which if any combination of surgeries will give you improvement. All the relationships of facial features that concern you can be addressed before any surgery is done. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant and a Rhinoplasty in an 18 Year Old- Proceed With Care

+1

You bring up some good points when it comes to considering facial plastic surgery. Technically, we can accomplish all of things you desire. We can make your nose narrower and raise the tip. By raising the tip, the distance between your nose and lip will appear to lengthen. A chin implant would add length and strength to your face. The real question is whether doing these things would make you satisfied with your appearance and happy overall. When I sit down with a patient for a consultation, I am doing 2 things. First, I am evaluating their facial anatomy and structure to see if we are able to accomplish what it is they want. Secondly, I am trying to determine if they are doing this for the right reasons. If we are successful, will they be happy with the results, and glad that they did the procedure? There are times where people think that a facial plastic surgery procedure will solve their problems, when in reality, all it is ever going to do is make them look a little better. With regards to your particular situation, this is why we are careful about talking about plastic surgery with someone who is 18 years old. The decision to undergo this surgery requires a certain level of maturity. This would be evaluated by you, your surgeon, and ideally your parents at the time of your consultation.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hate Nose

+1

"Hate" is a pretty strong word for your own personal anatomy.  Make sure that you communicate your exact needs with your Cosmetic Surgeon  He will discuss what can and what can not be accomplished.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon