Chin Implant After Orthodontic Treatment?

I'm a 25 year old female with a receded chin. It was recommended that I have jaw surgery combined with orthodontic treatment which I regrettingly refused, and had a compromised treatment instead. I had my braces removed 3 months ago and am very unhappy with the way my face looks. My face sags and creates a crease between my chin and cheeks, and I have no definition in my jawline. Will a chin implant fix this? Liposuction? What is my best option? Should I see a plastic surgeon or maxillofacial?

Getting a chin implant after having had braces

+2

Having had braces previously doesn't preclude you from getting a chin implant to improve your chin position. Your photos show a pretty significant retrusion of the chin, but if your teeth alignment is good then chin augmentation alone (or with neck liposuction) is a valid option. If you still have tooth misalignment then you may want to consider oral jaw surgery (also called orthognathic surgery) to create better tooth alignment while at the same time improving your jaw position.

To augment the chin area your two options are chin implantation or sliding genioplasty. The later involve making a cut in the chin bone, advancing it forward (without moving the teeth position), and plating it in its new position.

You must have a thorough evaluation to decide between jaw surgery and chin implant surgery

+2

If orthodontics have satisfactorily resolved any problems that you had with your bite (occlusion) you may not need to have jaw (orthognathic) surgery.  Having jaw surgery does no preclude you from having a chin implant or liposuction of the neck, nor does having chin augmentation and neck liposuction prevent you from having jaw surgery.  I would encourage you to see both a plastic surgeon and a maxillofacial surgeon for a thorough evaluation.  Based on your photographs, you should be a good candidate for a chin implant and liposuction of your neck in there is excess fat present which is hard to tell in just a picture. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon