Chin Implant - After 4 Months my Lower Lip is Still Partly Numb

Hello, I had chin implant 4 months ago.For several weeks,I didn't feel a small part on left of my lower lip at all.The numbness was like a line and it started from the stitches. After several weeks, I started to feel that part of my lip but it was so sensitive to touches. Now, when I talk or pull my lip,it feels like I am strecting it and my nerve will come off. Also, the wound in my mouth recovered, however it is still so sensitive to moves. Can there be a cut nerve and may it recover?Thanks

Chin implant - after 4 months my lower lip is still partly numb?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Numbness after any surgical procedure is expected for several weeks to months following. As the nerves to the area are traumatized and will then experience a temporary neuropraxia, a transient loss of nerve conduction. This usually resolves over the next 6-12 weeks, but depending on the procedure performed, sometimes much longer. Typically this should resolve by 1 year. As it goes past this date, the likelihood of the sensation returning is small. However, it can take up to 2 years. If no return from there, it is unlikely to return. It should be discussed that persistent sensory changes may develop following any surgical procedure.  If it persists or worsens, you may need to have your implant adjusted.  Followup closely with your surgeon.

The usual signs of the nerves regenerating and neuropraxia resolving is itching, followed by a burning sensation and then occasional sharp, shock-like pains. These will be normal to experience, and actually a promising sign. Usually, normal sensation returns, but is is also possible to have decreased sensation or even increased sensation to the areas affected. Re-educating nerves postoperatively is often helpful and will allow proper instruction for the affected sensory nerves - methods include using different textures to the affected areas when showering, bathing, applying lotion, etc. If bothersome, there are some medications that may be helpful, including Neurontin for pain for hypersensitivity. You can try various textures such as washcloths, loofahs, cotton sheets, etc. Massaging the areas is also beneficial for the incision to make the finest scar possible. The last place to regain the sensation will be directly adjacent to the incision/scar as the nerves will make its way from the periphery to this location. If continual pain arises, evaluation is warranted. After ruling out other causes, one rare explanation may be that a neuroma has developed and may require surgical excision. This is very unlikely unless a large sensory nerve has been transected inadvertently during the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Chin Augmentation Recovery Varies

+1

Complications and side effects are very uncommon with chin augmentation. However, there is a small degree of risk. The most likely side effect is altered sensation in the chin and lower jaw such as you described, which may be temporary or permanent depending on the extent of the surgery. The vast majority of these symptoms resolve on their own so hang in there.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Lip numbness after chin implant likely temporary

+1

The symptoms you describe sound like their was stretching of the mental nerves that exit your jaw bone and give sensation to your chin and lower lip skin. The fact that the sensation is improving is a good sign and likely means that the nerve itself is intact. The nerve itself may take several more months to improve.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Lip Numbness after Chin Implant Surgery

+1

Regarding: "Chin Implant - After 4 Months my Lower Lip is Still Partly Numb
"

The feeling of the lower lip is transmitted through a nerve that enters the lower jaw through a small opening close to the lower canine tooth. If you feel hard against that area you will be able to feel the depression leading to the opening where the MENTAL nerve enters the hole. A known complication of chin implants, especially those placed through the mouth, is a pulling of these paired nerves disrupting their fibers leading to loss of nerve conduction and numbness.

Once a nerve in injured, it actually dies a distance back from the site of the injury (look up WALLERIAN DEGENERATION) but it then slowly recovers and grows forward. Your recovery of sensation suggests that you should gain almost normal to normal sensation in the next few months.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Lip Numb after Chin Implant

+1

There are two nerves on each side of the chin called the mental nerves.  They provide sensation to the lower lip and chin area.  It sounds like one of these nerves was stretched or has some swelling around it.  Since the sensation is returning after several months, you most likely will have full recovery.  If it persists, the implant may be riding up on the nerve and causing irritation, which would require removal.  Hope this helps.

Dr. D

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after chin implant

+1

Normally it can take six months to a year before a nerve injury resolves itself. When a chin implant is put in the nerves that give feelings the lower lip are very close and can be bruised by the making of the pocket. This does generally resolves itself with no further problems. The fact that the area of numbness is getting smaller and that you are sensitive means that you are on the healing track. It should take several more months to recover. If the nerve were totally cut you would have no feeling whatsoever and it would likely not come back.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant: Common Problems

+1
From the description of your surgery it sounds like the nerve is still intact. Often when there is minor nerve injury, not uncommon, there can be postoperative numbness. As the nerve “returns” there can be itching, sharp pain and even sensitivity to the touch. It would be wise to keep your surgeon informed of your recovery as I am certain he/she would appreciate it.

Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Chin implant - numb

+1

If the nerve was actually cut, you would have complete lack of sensation.  Sometimes if the nerve is stretched you can have paresthesias as you describe.  If you have any concerns, you should see your surgeon - I 'm sure he/she would be happy to help answer your questions.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD