Can a Chin Implant Achieve What I Want?

My (m, 35) chin is recessed about 12mm posterior to my upper lip. It chin also lacks height. (My LAFH is ~75mm: upper lip ~25mm, lower lip ~25mm, chin ~25mm.) I have a thick neck, giving me the appearance of a double chin (unless I'm carrying <8% body fat). With age jowliness has appeared. I'd ideally like to achieve ~10mm increase in projection, ~5mm increase in height and a more defined jawline. Can an implant (eg, Mittelman chin and prejowl implant) achieve this? (Prefer to avoid genio.)

Chin implants and Vertical Chin Lengthening

+2

It is important to realize that chin implants produce horizontal projection with minimal to no vertical increase in height...unless they are custom made to create that effect. There are no off-the-shelf chin implants by any manufacturer that are designed for vertical chin lengthening. So if that is an important component of your chin augmentation, then an osseous genioplasty would be better. It appears you are seeking a three-dimensional change to your chin and are asking a two-dimensional implant to achieve that goal.

Chin Implant

+1

A chin implant can help you to achieve what you are looking for, but there are a few things to take into consideration as well as different possibilities that can possibly work with your area of concern. It is always best to make a consultation appointment with a knowledgeable board certified facial plastic surgeon in order for you to make the best possible decision for what you are looking for. Go over your concerns and your expectations, so he can discuss any and all options that are out there for you. It is always best to be properly and completely informed before making any decisions toward any kind of surgery. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a chin implant achieve what I want?

+1

Hello, and thank you for being precise with the goals you would like to achieve with your chin. An implant can definitely help you improve your appearance. However, it is difficult to tell if it will help you fall within the particular measurements you have in mind. The best advice I can give you is to not worry about specific measurements, but concentrate on how a chin augmentation can help improve the overall appearance of your profile and bring your facial features into harmony. Photos would really be necessary to give you the best advice. From here, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified surgeon who uses computer imaging software. This will help you get an idea of how your profile may appear following an implant. A morphed photo will also serve as a fantastic communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon. Thanks and best of luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD