Could Juvaderm Injection Have Ruptured Chin Implant?

I had a chin implant 21 years ago. I am now 43. a few months ago I had a filler ( the one that can not be reversed with an enzyme ..juvaderm?) injected a few months ago in my jaw line and chin. When she injected my chin it felt like she hit a nerve and i was in a lot of pain for a week. Nerve activity for about 1 month, It is now 5 months later and i have a soreness in my chin area. DO you think the implant could have ruptured? What can i do??

Juvederm and Chin Implants

+1

No, it sounds more likely that the filler (sounds more like Radiesse or Perlane?) could have been placed close to the mental nerve in the chin area.  The needle and or the filler could be placing pressure on the nerve.  See if the MD that injected the filler is OK with gentle massage and heat to the sore areas.

I do lots of Chin Implants and the Chin implants are solid material except for a very small button style chin implant that was silicone gel filled.  These were used in the 1980's and I haven't run across one of these chin implants since the early 1990's.

Juvederm and chin implant problem

+1
Hi - since chin implants are solid (not fluid filled like a breast implant), there is very little chance of a needle injection rupturing the implant.  However, it is possible that the injection irritated one of the sensory nerves in the area, causing you some pain....fortunately this is usually temporary (few weeks) in most cases.
If you are still having pain several months later, though, you should most certainly be examined in person.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Chin Implant Rupture

+1

Juvederm is likely not the filler you had since it is reversible.  Chin implants are also solid pieces of silicone so they will not rupture even if hit with a needle.  You do indeed have a nerve that exits the bone in the chin area that could be causing the pain and discomfort you felt.  All injectable cause localized swelling and occasionally bruising which might put additional pressure on the nerve while the swelling resolves.  As the filler is absorbed and dissipates, the pain should get better.

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant rupture?

+1

First of all - the product that was placed was not Juvederm - since this is dissolvable.  However, it's unlikely that the injection ruptured your chin implant.  Chin implants are usually solid pieces of silicone - if you're curious you could have your plastic surgeon show you one.  There are some nerves in this area that could have been hit, but usually the needles used are small so it shouldn't have done much damage.  I anticipate that your symptoms will get better.  Regardless, I'd recommend speaking with your doctor and telling him/her what your concerns are.  I'm sure he/she would be happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Chin implant would not rupture with filler

+1

Juvederm can be dissolved by hyaluronidase so your filler was some other, possibly Radiesse. Regardless, the chin implant is a solid synthetic material that will not rupture but if the needle loosened the collagen capsule around the implant there might be pain.  If  introduction of bacteria seeded the implant or if the biofilm around the implant were disrupted, then a deep infection could cause pain. You should see your physician to ensure that no infection exists, although most likely there is a nerualgia which is an inflammation of the nerve from irritation and this may get better over many months, sometimes with the assistance of medication.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Chin implant not ruptured but nerve is irritated. This was not Juvederm (some other docs did not read carefully).

+1

As you stated, the doctor told you that this filler is not reversible with hyaluronidase, therefore it is more likely Radiesse than Juvederm or Restylane. Even though it is likely that a nerve was injured (your old chin implant may have moved a nerve out of its natural pathway and left in in an unpredictable spot that was nicked by the filler needle), there is also a possibility that pressure from the new filler is squeezing it against the implant.

These are simplistic possibilites, but since your implant is old, and the material in it is unknown, the safest thing to do is to see a facial plastic surgeon who can help you properly evaulate the cause of this pain and make sure your old implant isn't causing a problem by breaking apart in some way.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Chin implants do not rupture

+1

As many others have said, chin implants are made of solid materials and are not liquid or gel filled. Your pain and sensitivity are likely due to direct nerve irritation or injury from the injection process itself, and will likely resolve with time.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured Chin Implant? What to do?

+1

Rupture is unlikely because most chin implants are solid.  Try to retrieve exactly what  implant you had,.  Your discomfort will resolve.  The Juvederm can be reversed with Hyluronadase and this is nice if problems occur.  Be patient and you will be fine.  Recovery from all surgery and injections takes one year but usually less.  Good Luck..

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured Chin Implant after Injection

+1

Unless some unusual material was used, chin implants are solid and therefore will not rupture. If possible, ask the surgeon who placed the implant. The nerve was probably traumatized at the time of injection. It sounds like the pain is decreasing - nothing can be done except to be patient. Hopefully this will resolve.

Pain after Radiesse Injection

+1

Without seeing you or actually being there when you had the injecitons, it is virtually impossible to give you specific advice or an explanation.  However, chin implants are made of solid material and therefore would not rupture even if punctured.  It is possible that you are somehow having nerve irritation from the injections.  It would be best to return to your injector for an examination.  If you had your injecitons from a non-doctor / non-plastic surgeon, it may also be useful to seek a consultation if you have continued problems.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD