Will my Chin Look More Defined if I Combine Chin Liposuction with a Neck Lift?

How common is it for patients to have both a neck lift and chin liposuction done?

Chin Liposuction and Necjlift

+4
Liposuction to the chin and a necklift are often performed together. More about lower face rejuvenation options avaiable
Neck Lift (Cervicoplasty / Platysmaplasty): restoring elegance to the face
Though it is not technically part of the face, a neck with loose, sagging skin can age the face dramatically. A neck lift is a standard part of most facelift surgeries, as the neck skin is mobilized in continuity with the lower face.
Immediately under the skin of the neck is the platysma muscle, which you can easily see in a mirror when you clench your teeth and tighten your jaw. In youth, this paired muscle meets in the midline below the chin. With age, the right and left sides of the platysma often separate, producing vertical 'cords' in the anterior neck. The platysma can be divided anteriorly and tightened during neck lift cosmetic surgery to permanently eliminate these 'cords' and improve the neck contour. One tightened in the midline below the chin, lateral traction on the platysma then creates a 'sling' which elevates the soft tissues below the jawline.
Cervical / submandibular liposuction
Some individuals have 'sagging' necks primarily due to fat accumulation below the jawbone (mandible). In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.
Suture suspension neck lift
In cosmetic surgery patients that do not have a sharp transition in profile between the submental area (area below the jawline) and the anterior neck, and in patients who simply want that transition enhanced, I add a 'suture suspension necklift'. A permanent suture is passed subcutaneously across the anterior neck, at the level corresponding to depth of the angle between the submental area and anterior neck, and is then anchored to the deep soft tissues behind each earlobe. This suspension cosmetic surgery procedure can dramatically enhance the definition between the jawline and anterior neck, producing a more elegant profile.
The neck is without question the primary 'facelift' aesthetic area where subtractive (excisional) and tightening procedures restore a truly youthful contour. Once again, take a look at the fashion magazines: essentially every neck you'll see demonstrates something close to a right angle between the neck and jaw. When it comes to the neck, and only in the neck, flat is good.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction and Neck Lift.

+3

Thank you for your question. Liposuction can be done with a Neck Lift but there is some risk to blood circulation after the lift if Liposuction is also done.

The safest and most common approach is for the surgeon to "de fat" the neck during the Neck Lift through a small incision under the chin. This permits more accurate sculpting of the neck fat.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Neck Lift

+1

I almost always remove fat in some way during a neck lift. Either directly cutting it out or liposuction. It is an important part of the procedure.

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Combination Neck Lift Procedures

+1

At my practice in New York City and Long Island, I combine neck rejuvenation procedures in order to maximize improvement of the neck appearance for my patients. Our neck lift rejuvenation procedures include: neck fat removal (or neck liposuction), neck tightening (platysmaplasty) and excess skin removal (cervicoplasty). Chin implants can also be considered when a patient has excess skin or fat in the neck. For these patients, liposuction along with the implant may be a good idea to rejuvenate their face.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin lipo and neck lift

+1

It is actually very common for a neck lift to also include some form of fat removal, either direct or with liposuction

Sam Naficy, MD

Neck lift and liposuction

+1

It is very common to perform lipocontouring of the neck in conjunction with a neck lift. The two procedures are very effective in creating a nicely defined jawline and a balanced profile. If you are thin with very little neck fat I would be very cautious with lipocontouring. While liposuction can have fantastic contouring results in the neck, if you are thin and the surgeon doesn't have a lot of experience it is possible to get contour irregularities that are very difficult to correct.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Chin lift and neck liposuction are commonly done together

+1

For a more defined neck line you could do a neck lift with liposuction.  You may want to also consider a chin implant to improve your profile as well. Pictures will help in determining this for you. Below is an example of a video that helps to answer this question for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for neck tightening

+1

Smart Lipo is an effective way of resculpting the neck area and helps tighten loose skin. Smart Lipo uses laser light allowing finer resculpturing of the neck and jowls. If greater tightening of the skin is required, you may benefit more from a neck lift. This is also a quick way to reduce jowls, eliminate a double chin, slim the bands of muscle that form the wattle, and tighten neck skin. Often, liposuction alone can help resculpt this area and tighten loose skin. These procedures can be performed as an outpatient without the need for general anesthesia allowing for a quick recovery.

You may also benefit from Thermage®. Thermage is now a safe, non-invasive, radiofrequency (RF) cosmetic procedure that’s clinically proven to help smooth, tighten and contour skin for an overall younger looking appearance. This can treat sagging skin, loose jowls, lack of definition in the jaw line, sagging neck skin (“turkey neck”), wrinkles and fine lines, and lack of definition in the lips. Thermage® uses radiofrequency technology to heat the deep, collagen rich layers of your skin. The heat helps tighten existing collagen and stimulate the formation of new collagen, which reduces sagging, renews contours, and improves the smoothness and texture of the skin’s surface. Comfort Pulse Technology, including a vibrating handpiece, delivers enhanced patient comfort. The treatment delivers natural looking results with little to no downtime —on all skin colors, on and off the face, all in a single procedure. Fast and easy, you can even come in during your lunch break and return to work after! 

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Avoid liposuction of the neck especially in the submental area.

+1

Liposuction in the neck can be very hazardous as mentioned in some other posts. Fat should be removed under direct vision vision because one can never be sure where the fat is. The fat can be superficial or deep to the platysma muscles. Liposuction is a blind technique and cannot address this in a controlled way. Necklift surgery allows direct visualization of the anatomy and removal of the fat by direct excision in a very precise fashion. The Necklift also allows the muscle sling to be reconstituted and to give a nice smooth appearance to the neck without excessive fat removal. Smart liposuction is definitely not a smart option for the neck and some of the pictures that are available on the Internet are very early results and do not show the scarring and the irregularity that can occur with this technique.

In conclusion I would say that if liposuction is used it should be as an adjunct in a very limited fashion, but preferably the fat should be removed by direct excision in the neck rather than liposuction in most cases.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction at the Time of a Neck Lift

+1

I do not routinely use liposuction during facelifts or neck lifts.  The trauma of the suction can make the dissection bloodier and more difficult deal with delicate tissues.  I do use it however for people that carry a lot of excess fat in the neck. For other patients that fat can be visualized and cut out directly. The choice is made individually.  Liposuction is a tool.  Its use should applied with good judgement.

Mary Lee Peters, MD