Will I Need a Chin Augmentation? (photo)

I am 18 and I have a big nose, crowded teeth, a weak jawline, and a protruding chin. What kind of correctional work will I need? Aside from braces and rhinoplasty, will I also require a chin augmentation?

Chin augmentation for pointy chin?

+2

Because the projection of your chin is already adequate, a chin implant placed over the front of the chin bone is not necessary.  However, you may benefit from an implant that is placed off-center on each side to smooth out the "pointyness".  Additionally, it appears on the profile views that you have a weak/receeding upper jaw (maxilla) under the nose area that can be improved with a pre-maxillary implant... just something to consider.  Glad to help... @drryanstanton

Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation

+2

The combination of rhinoplasty and chin surgery is very common in our practice. From your profile view, you do not need a traditional chin implant, because the anterior projection of year chin is adequate. From the frontal view, you have a very narrow chin, and there is a type of chin implant called a pre-jowl implant  that can give you more width to  the chin area with no further augmentation forward. These implants are easy to insert thru a submental incision at the same time as the rhinoplasty. For further examples of the combination rhinoplasty and chin implant please see  our  photo gallery link  below. Virtual rhinoplasty software is also available on our website for you to see what your new chin and nose would look like.

Chin Reduction

+2

You certainly don't need chin augmentation. You may benefit by chin reduction  to reduce the size of the ball on the end of your chin.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD