Intermittant Swelling over a Year After Chin Augmentation

I had a chin augmentation over a 1 1/2 years ago. I went through the normal swelling/discomfort period; however, every two months or so, I tend to swell up significantly on either side, and sometimes bilaterally. At first my surgeon treated me with antibiotics. The last episode occurred this past weekend with the right side swelling up to where I looked deformed, and this time there was very sharp pain involved. Today, swelling is going down, pain is lessening, and I'm looking better. Why does the swelling reoccur, even 18 months later?

Chin implant

+1

Intermittent swelling after any implant(foriegn material, one should consider infection.

If there is fluid to aspirate and culture that is good, But a negative culture does not mean no infection. If this is repeated remove the implant with the capsule. It is a difficult decision to make but it needs to be made and one can reinsert a new implant after six months.

Swelling 1 year after a chin augmentation with implant

+1

This is very unusual. I would advise you to seek evaluation when swollen and possibly consider some form of imaging such as ultrasound or MRI when the swelling occurs.