Chin Augmentation-Better to Start with Fillers?

I have a mildly receding chin (some jowling too) and am considering a chin implant. Now I'm wondering if I should take it slower and try a filler first. I've read of some bad experiences -misalignment, wrong size, numbness-and it makes me nervous. Also, less downtime and expense a big plus (what would the cost of fillers be??) HOWEVER you need to keep getting fillers and if I like the look I'll want implant and don't know if a good result in one is an indicator of result in an implant.

+1
It is not unreasonable to start with fillers in a patient who only desires a minimal augmentation. 

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of facial procedures and chin implants each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Chin-Implant.php

Chin Augmentation-Better to Start with Fillers

+1
You may discuss this with your doctor who should be able to give you the advice you need.  Yes, you can start with fillers.  I do it frequently, and it can achieve a significant result.  The only issue, is it is temporary, while the implant is permanent.  There were no photos attached, so it is hard to give you much more advice.

Web reference: http://www.beverlyhills-plasticsurgery.com/chin-implant-surgery/

Fillers for Chin Augmentation

+1
Dear Susanfelice,

Using temporary fillers may give you an idea of what you may look like after surgery. Permanent fillers may also warrant a minor augmentation, while fat transfer may also be a good choice, however, the gold standard for chin augmentation is still sliding genioplasty or chin implants. Though "bad-experiences" may happen, this rarely occurs with good surgeons who really know what they are doing so it will be best to find an experienced cosmetic/plastic surgeon to do your surgery. 
For major chin augmentation, I however recommend AGAINST permanent fillers.
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant versus fillers to chin

+1
Fillers to the chin or even fat grafting can produce a small amount of improvement.  The fillers are temporary so it allows one to "date" the result instead of "marrying" it.  Chin implants are powerful.  If your interest continues find someone who can demonstrate nice prior results.

Fillers or Chin Implant

+1
Without seeing a picture or examining you, it is hard to answer this question, but if you have significant chin deficiency, you are wasting money with fillers.  Although they can assist, they cannot give the exact augmentation as a silicone implant.
The great thing about chin implants is that they are easily reversible if you do not like the result.  You can make them bigger, smaller or remove them at any time.

Joe Niamtu, III DMD  Cosmetic Facial Surgery Richmond, VA
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin Implant - Better to Start with Fillers?

+1
In the long run (three or more years) a chin implant will be the more affordable option for you. The risks that you mention are not common following chin implant surgery by an experienced plastic surgeon. However, if you have a great deal of anxiety surrounding a permanent chin implant then filler will give you an opportunity to "try on" the look of a chin implant without having a surgical procedure. This should put you at ease with regard to the expected result of a chin implant. It will be important that your filler is performed by the same surgeon who you plan on placing the chin implant to ensure a consistent result.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/facial-dermal-fillers/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler vs chin implant

+1
It makes little sense to me to have a trial of temporary injectable fillers to attempt to see what a solid bonelike implant might do. I personally don't know of anyone who has expertise with injectable chin fillers, but then I am a dinosaur with over 35 years of experience with silastic chin implants. See an expert on either of these approaches. Perhaps it is the jowls that need attention. 
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon