Is Chin Implant Replacement Possible?

I had Chin implant surgery in 2005 and was very satisfied with the results. However, since a few years now, I have the impression the implant has either shrunk in size or receded into my chin. I no longer have the chin I initially desired.

A cosmetic surgeon told me last year that it would be difficult to replace it with a new, larger one due to the scar tissue which has formed around it and prefers to go with a filler. I would prefer a new chin.

You can usually replace your existing Chin Implant with a larger one, or consider Injectable Fillers.

+2

You should consult a certified facial plastic surgeon experienced with the application of silicone Chin Implants. You have a few options. Removal of your existing silicone implant, and replacement with a larger one is certainly feasible.

The least invasive option would be to have an Injectable Filler treatment to your chin. This will provide instant gratification, with minimal cost, and no downtime. I just returned from a course on Advanced MACS-Lifting in Gent, Belgium. I saw fat grafting performed for chin augmentation, and the results looked phenomenal. Here's info on Drs. Verpaele and Tonnard: www.coupurecentrum.be

I am experienced with the Injectable Filler Silikon-1000 for permanent augmentation. I have used this successfully for soft tissue augmentation of the chin.

I hope this is helpful for you.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+2

I think you need to know what type implant you had. An X-Ray will show if there is errosion of the implant into the bone and how much.

if the implant is silicone, it can be removed, but removing the capsule or scar is important (I do it with Harmonic Scalpel) so that no injury to the muscles is caused.

One can replace the implant if the condition of the bone and chin soft tissue and muscles is good.

Loss of Chin Implant fullness

+2

You complain that your chin is no longer as strong or full as it once was.

You did not mention type of implant it is. You also didn't mention any workup of your situation.

My concern is that there may be some bone erosion under the implant, and this could lead to tooth loss if it is in fact happening.

My advice, talk with the surgeon and ask about getting xrays or panorex of the lower jaw. There is SOME reason for this to be happening.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Chin implant replacement is possible

+1

Certainly, chin implants are completely reversible and can be removed and/or replaced at any time. There is a small amount of bone resorption that occurs behind the chin implant just from the simple pressure that the implant places on the bone itself. The scar tissue that forms around the implant is of no consequence, and the implant can be easily removed and replaced with another size or style. I would not recommend any dermal fillers into this area.

Chin Implant Replacement

+1

Chin implant replacement is definitely possible. There may be subcutaneous scar tissue present but this should not interfere with placement of a larger and perhaps more desirable implant to improve your facial structural contour.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant replacement

+1

This really depends on the type of implant placed. In some instances, your body grows into the implant making it extremely difficult to remove. This occurs with marlex mesh, medpor, and some hyroxyapatite implants.

In other instances your body forms a fibrous capsule (cocon-like) that can be very smooth, by cutting into the capsule , the implant is easily extracted if it is made of silicone or PTFE, etc.

I assume you have the former based on your description. Removal is possible but can be quite difficult. On the other hand, these implants do not typically erode the bone or decrease in size. Solid silicone implants do not deflate or decrease in size but they may erode the bone making them look smaller.

Try to find out more about the original implant that was placed.

Hard to determine if chin implant replacement is for you

+1

With out photos and more detailed history it is very hard to determine if chin implant replacement is an option for you. My guess is it is, but it is just my guess. The surgery is more involved but easily done. Regards.