Chin Augmentation Vs. Jaw Advancement Surgery

I'm 19 years old and on a bit of a budget, but I have an extremely weak chin, which I would like corrected. I don't know if I should be looking at a chin implant, or jaw advancement. I'm very reluctant to get rhinoplasty, mainly due to price, but it's something I'm considering as well. Any suggestions?

Chin Enhancement; Jaw advancement VS. Implant

+5

I agree that a Chin implant is a much simpler operation than an Advancement or a Sliding Genioplasty (Jaw Advancement). However - the addition of an implant would not offset the appearance of the nose.

Respectfully, in my opinion the size and shape of the nose eclipses your face and would proportionately make most chin implants look small. I would strongly advise you to have a Reduction Rhinoplasty (Nose Job) first - as the major procedure and then, if needed, worry about a chin implant as a secondary procedure.

Chin implant, jaw surgery and/or rhinoplasty (nose job)

+5

You should be evaluated for a malocclusion. This means that if your upper and lower teeth do not meet properly, then it is more likely that you will need a jaw advancement. If your teeth are in proper alignment then you may benefit from the chin implant procedure alone. In my opinion, you would greatly benefit from a rhinoplasty and should consider it as an option to enhance your overall profile.

Chin implant (yes) vs jaw advancement (no)

+3

From the photo, I doubt that you will need a "jaw advancement".  However, some people might suggest a sliding genioplasty instead of a chin implant.

Most people would choose a chin implant over a sliding genioplasty as not only is it less expensive, but it has a shorter recovery and will give you a similar result with far less risk.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Chin Implant

+3

The choice of which surgery, chin implant or jaw advancement surgery would depend mainly on your bite. It would also depend on the chin bone and the root of the teeth to see if chin advancement surgery is possible. Cin advancement surgery and jaw advancement surgery are more expensive than chin implants.

Cosult a Board Certified plastic surgeon, or a Maxillofacial surgeon

Chin augmentation vs. jaw advancement surgery

+3

I would need a in person evaluation of the anatomy, dental examination in order to determine which is best for the situation. I am leaving out the $ issue. We should not practice due the $ amounts. But what is best for the final result. As for time off work the implant is faster but still the bony work only adds a few month days to 2 weeks. But the complications are much more in the bony work.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Chin Implant Surgery may improve the appearance of your weak chin.

+3

Genioplasty surgery is always an option, and you could certainly consider this option. Chin Implant surgery takes under 30 minutes, and downtime is minimal. The majority of my patients are thrilled with their results after Chin Implant Surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation vs. jaw advancement

+3

Without actually examining you and seeing you in person, your profile picture appears that a chin augmentation would be the procedure of choice for you. Any facial plastic surgeon you see in consultation should be able to determine if you would be a better candidate for the chin augmentation or jaw advancement. I would think if you have a dental care provider, he or she would have already told you have malocclusion and might consider jaw advancement.

If you decided to have rhinoplasty this would of course be the optimum result along with either of these procedures. If you seek a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon then he or she should be able to provide you with a video image of yourself that would show you the difference of doing a rhinoplasty alone or the chin augmentation alone and of course doing both procedures.

Arnold Zweig, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation vs. jaw surgery with or without a rhinoplasty.

+3

If your teeth fit together withy normal occlusion then you would find it far easier to have an implant, plus considerably cheaper as well. You should really consider having your nose done as well as it will give you a great result.

Chin Implant vs. Sliding Genioplasty

+2

The answer is dependent upon the total evaluation of the face and its components.  The nose should be evaluated to see if it needs a surgical procedure prior to a chin procedure.  After the nose has been evaluated then the selection can be made.  The chin implant is usually a less expensive procedure compared to the jaw procedure.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Chin augmentation or jaw advancement surgery for weak chin

+2
Chin augmentation and jaw advancement surgery are both excellent procedures. The jaw advancement surgery is much more expensive than the chin implant. The chin augmentation costs approximately $3,000.00 while jaw advancement is closer to $10,000.00. With jaw advancement surgery you have to remain in the hospital for at least a day or two. The chin augmentation is a simple silastic chin implant placed across the chin and can be done under a local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure if necessary. If your teeth are significantly out of alignment, you may need to consider the jaw advancement surgery to get your teeth into better alignment and occlusion. For  more information about Silastic chin implant and many examples of chin implants, please see the link below