Chin Augmentation - Genioplasty Vs Implant? (photo)

For a few years, I've been unhappy with my chin. As you can see from the picture, my nose isn't exactly small and my chin isn't helping. I've been thinking that a chin augmentation would bring better facial balance than a rhinoplasty. I believe that my chin is short and a bit recessed. I'm thinking a genioplasty would be best since I need both a horizontal and vertical movement, but an implant is cheaper and less invasive. By the way, I'm 21 years old. Would I benefit more from a genioplasty?

Chin implant vs genioplasty

+1

A chin implant is a simple procedure done under local anesthesia to give more projection to the chin.  A better balanced chin will make the nose look less prominent. If your teeth do not fit together correctly, you might consider the genioplasty

Chin Implant vs Rhinoplasty

+1

In looking at your profile, you are absolutely correct that chin augmentation would be far more beneficial than rhinoplasty. Your nose is not as big as your chin is small. Computer imaging will show well the differential benefits of a chin implant over a rhinoplasty.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin augmentation

+1

From your photos, it does appear that your appearance could benefit from more chin projection.  In most cases, when the chin is made more prominent, it does help with making the nose appear smaller.  Rhinoplasty is an additional option for you to make the nose smaller as well.  You would need to have your mouth and teeth examined to determine if you are a candidate for a sliding genioplasty, although a chin implant is also an option.  If you are considering the sliding genioplasty, I would consult with an oral-maxillofacial surgeon for the evaluation of your mouth and chin.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon