Chin Augmentation with Filler or Implant? (photo)

Hello, I am a 29 year old female, I have always been unhappy with my profile. I believe more protrusion with my chin would help to balance my features. I have heard of radiesse or other fillers for a small change, fat transfer, or implants. I am looking to make a small but helpful change. Would you please suggest which method would be best and how much should be added?

Chin augmentation with filler or implant?

+1

A filler can be used to augment the chin. The pros associated with attempting to augment the chin with filler are as follow:

1) Non-invasive
2) Quick
3) Reverisble
4)  No down time
5)  More affordable in the short run
6)  Great for chin needing subtle changes

The advantages of the implant:

1)  Permanent
2)  Short downtime
3)  More affordable in the long run
4)  Better for chins on the smaller side

Many times with patients, I will start with an augmentation with a filler to see if the patient is happy with the results.  If they are pleased, then we can move forward with a chin implant.  Some chins are so small, that a filler will not be adequate to correct the profile.  In these instances, I would recommend a chin implant from the onset.

I hope this helps!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation with implant is preferred

+1

Fillers are an inappropriate substance to be placed in the chin for augmentation purposes.  The best option for chin augmentations is a silastic chin implant placed into the submental area through a small ½ inch submental incision.  The implants themselves come in small, medium, large, and extra large and the surgeon and patient will discuss the size at the time of the consultation.  Visible swelling and bruising around a chin implant takes approximately 2 months to settle down and full healing takes approximately 2-3 months.  The best possible placement of a chin implant is always the submental incision and not the intraoral approach.

Chin implant. Most natual results

+1

In my opinion the anatomically shaped chin implants give the most natural looking results. The fact that they are permanent is just a bonus.The procedure is safe and relatively painless.In your case a small anatomic chin implant would look great and maintain your very feminine profile. If cost is an issue then a filler is certainly less expensive at least initially.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation with Filler or Implant?

+1

Most likely your best bet would be a chin implant which is the only permanent option.  You most likely already know that fillers such as Juvederm  and Restylane will only last 6 to 9 months, and fat grafting could last 5 years or longer.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to make suggestions, and give you the pros and cons of each. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant should make you Happy

+1
After reviewing your photographs I would suggest a small chin implant to add the proper balance to your facial features. Aesthetically speaking your lower lip should line up with the projection of your chin. You could try a filler first and see if you like this augmentation and it would give you an estimation of the anticipated surgical result. I personally use a computer analysis that allows the consulting patient to see their proposed surgical result. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

+1

Thanks for the photos. I would try a filler first to see if you like the augmentation. Than you can decide if fat or an implant.