Chin Augmentation Without Deeping Labiomental Fold

I'm considering a chin augmentation and would prefer an implant over bone cutting. My picture shows unedited(A), ideal results(B), and unfavorable results(C).

1. Is (B) achievable with an implant? What type/size?
  2. Can the labiomental fold be made less deep as in (B)?
  3. Can the angle of my lower lip be made more vertical as in (B).
  4. Does intraoral insertion affect the labiomental fold depth?
  5. How do I avoid photo(C)?

Is it the chin or the teeth that are the problem?

+2

You have somewhat overthought this issue and have missed the diagnosis which is apparent from the photos.  You have a malocclusion and a retrusive lower jaw.  This is even visible in your desired side view.  Unless you correct this first, you will never have the ideal chin you want.  Go to an expert oral surgeon and have an analysis done so you can see that just putting in a chin implant doesn't correct the underlying problem.  You've got to frame the house before doign the finish work!

+1

Clearly you have thought about this in detail. In my experience the Flowers Mandibular Glove implant offers the greatest veritical height to reach up to the labiomental groove but this is not without  tradeoffs. You may feel this in the depth of the labial sulcus. I prefer a submental crease incision over an oral approach, The lip will generally not be treated or effected with a chin implant. This is a simplistic overview of a complex problem and surgery.

Chin implant will change labiomental area also.

+1

You only offer side views, so type and size recommendations are impossible without physical examination and discussions with you about your wishes. Imaging only offers a goal, and should NEVER be considered a guarantee of a specific post-operative result. That being said, your B view is conservative and reasonable, though the labiomental fold may not be able to be augmented to that degree with a chin implant alone. You may require soft tissue augmentation via fat grafting or dermal-fat grafts.

But, before we get ahead of ourselves, your photo may show evidence of malocclusion (incorrect bite or teeth-teeth contact) in the form of an overbite. If your teeth and bite are perfect, then you can ignore the next comments. But, if you do indeed have an overbite, you may be better served by consultation with an oral surgeon who can talk to you about jaw advancement surgery which will correct the upper lip-lower lip disharmony, help fill out the labiomental area, AND provide increased chin projection. Start with the teeth and bite FIRST, then see a Board-certified (American Board of Plastic Surgery) plastic surgeon for the next steps (if they are even needed)!

BTW, males obsessing about appearance details are a "red flag" of "potentially-never-happy" patient. Relax, have realistic and accommodating expectations, and listen to your expert consultants. You don't need to "Cover all the bases" for your surgeon; that is their job, and the training and expertise does not ever come with a perfection badge in the mail. Best Wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon