What Should a Chin Augmentation Consultation Be Like?

When one goes for a chin augmentation what should that consultation be like to make sure you are getting the correct chin implant to fit your face?

What a chin surgery consultation involves

+1

A chin augmention consultation should include discussing your concerns and goals.

A examination to include assessing your neck and chin anatomy and your dental occlusion (how your teeth line up) is also important.  Computer based morphing is also done to give you an idea of what result you could look to achieve. Lastly, you should be able to see before and after photographs of other patients the patient has operated on.

Based on all of these things your surgeon would likely discuss your options regarding a chin implant versus sliding genioplasty (or possibly other complementary procedures that may help maximize your final result).

Consult for chin implant

+1

During the consultation, the physician should listen to your concerns and goals. That is the best way to find out what is most important to the patient. I like to have photos taken at the time of the consult so we can review them together. I find the side view is best to visualize the balance of the profile of the chin with the nose and forehead. I individualize this by having several implants available in the operating room and use implant sizers to determine which best fits the patient’s chin. Good luck!

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Chin augmentation consultation-3D imaging is helpful

+1

A chin augmentation via chin implant can have a very powerful impact on a patient's profile and facial balance. There are certain measurements that need to be looked at in relationship to one's chin, nose and lips.  The best way to simulate what a chin implant can do for a patient's profile is to perform 3D imaging which will show the patient what they may look like with a stronger chin.  Even a few millimeters of projection of the chin can have a profound effect.  I prefer to use 3D imaging to help set realistic expectations with a patient.

Silicone implants are most commonly used through a submental (external incision) just under the chin.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

+1

Interesting question. Best for you to see at least 3 doctors and tell us your experience. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Chin implant consultation

+1

!. Professional and sensitive to you.

The doctor should examine your nose, chine, teeth, and neck, in addition to obtaining your history, and enquiring about your goals.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

How to pick a surgeon for your chin augmentation.

+1

One of the more difficult issues with cosmetic surgery is finding the right surgeon.  In finding the right physician for your chin augmentation, it is not just a matter of finding a qualified, technically skilled doctor but also finding one that has an aesthetic sense that is similar to yours.  As an example, there is a very good plastic surgeon in my community that aesthetically likes a prominent chin profile and places large implants.  I personally think it makes his female patients look like men.  We both use the same type of implant, get great technical results but our patients look very different at the end of the procedure.  This is definitely a discussion that you want to have with any surgeon you consider.  Photo morphing has a definite place in this context.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Video Imaging is the *BEST* tool for a successful Chin Augmentation Consultation

+1

A well defined chin helps give balance to the face and creates a major part of one's profile. Surgeons who specialize in rhinoplasty, or surgery of the nose, are often the first to suggest that changes in chin size or shape may enhance a profile as much as rhinoplasty. It is common that I recommend chin surgery in addition to nose surgery when I see that chin augmentation is necessary to achieve facial balance and harmony. Fortunately, this is a relatively straight forward procedure that can make a major difference.

Successful facial plastic surgery is a result of good rapport between patient and surgeon. Trust, based on realistic expectations and exacting medical expertise, develops in the consulting stages before surgery. In my practice I perform video imaging to demonstrate to my patients the results they can expect after having chin implant surgery. This is a very valuable tool as it facilitates a realistic conversation about expectations in regards to the size of the Chin implant that I will use for the surgery.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chim implant consultations

+1

In general, an examination of the face and occlusion should be completed following a pertinent history. Options for various techniques should be reviewed ranging from injectable fillers to implants and then on to boney osteotomies.