Chin Augmentation Once Braces Removed

I had asked this question a while ago about chin augmentation on a 15 year-old. However I forgot to mention that I already have braces and will be getting them off very soon so that is not the problem. Does this information change anything? Thanks

Braces and chin augmentation

+1
It would be best in assessing the proper size chin for implantation if the braces were off as they do change the lip projection. You are an ideal patient for augmentation and for a very simple procedure you will see a tremendous change in your profile and should be very happy!

Chin Augmentation

+1

In order to achieve the best balance, it would be best for you to wait until the braces are off. Not only do the braces add slight projection to the lip, but in some cases, the shape of the jaw changes and may effect the size of the implant.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Chin implant

+1

I agree with the previous doc, braces do add a little projection to the lower lip, which is what we use to determine the size of your implant.  i would wait to have the braces off before proceeding with surgery so that you can have the right sized implant placed.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Braces and chin implant. Is there a snag?

+1

I have placed chin implants trans-orally (through the mouth) and externally (from beneath the chin), on lots of people both with braces and without.  There is absolutely no problem, but there is one snag.  Braces add a bit of projection to the lips.  When choosing an implant size, the relationship of the chin to the lips to the nose are all factored it.  With experience, an experienced board certified surgeon can "see past" the distortion of braces and pick the right size implant.

Ritu Chopra, MD