I'm 55 and having TT and BR in 3 days. I have been fighting a cold for 2 weeks. I have weakness, sore throat, headaches each day and sweats & chills. I'm worried since when I had c-section delivering my child. I had cold symptoms and developed pneumonia. My PS extended the surgery for 2 days, but don't know if this will be enough to boost my immune system and I'll be strong. Also what would boost my immune system? Please advice. Thank you. Melody
Chills 3 Days Before Surgery?
Doctor Answers 11
Sick before planned surgery
Your mommy makeover is elective surgery. You should not have cold symptoms before your surgery. Please see your primary care physician and notify your PS. Feel better soon.
I do not think you are ready for this type of surgery. Remember this is purely elective surgery. See your medical doctor for evaluation
You might also like...
Sick before surgery
I recommend that you visit with your primary care doctor for an exam. You will want to be strong and healthy for the recovery from your surgery. You do not want to have any active infections. Good luck.
Preop health before TT
At 55 having a TT and BR is a big surgery and big recovery. Though you may have bounced back after other abdominal surgeries like C-sections in the past, chances are that you were in your 30s. I would encourage you to see your primary care physician for a full work up. I tell my patients that you want your body to be in good shape just like you were training for a race. You wouldn't go out and run a 5 or 10k feeling poorly. Having a postoperative complication like pneumonia can not only jeopardize your result, it can jeopardize your health. Take some time and don't rush into it. I think you will be very pleased in the end. Best of luck!
Sick before surgery
I strongly recommend that you see your primary care doctor prior to surgery so that your heart, lungs and overall health can be examined. If you are sick going into surgery, the stress of the operation can make this a lot worse. Much better to be safe than sorry. Talk to your surgeon this week and let them know what is going on and they can decide if your surgery needs to be rescheduled.
Having an elective surgery while sick will increase the risk of complications
Hello. It would be risky to have an elective surgery while sick in any way. Having any kind of infection prior to surgery greatly increases the risk of a surgical site infection so it is best for you to postpone your surgery for at least two weeks to avoid any unnecessary health issues.
Jaime Perez, MD
Mommy Makeover Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa
Chills and Mommy Makeover
If you have fever and chills, you should not have surgery. Once you feel well, you can have the surgery performed.
There is no reason to take any risk, you may have the cold, or the flue.
Delay your surgery for atleast one month, or when you are completely back to normal. In my prctice we will delay the surgery even if you want to proceed in that condition. See your family physician who will not clear you for surgery.
Viral infection and elective surgery aren't a good combo
Melody55: Winter is virus season. I just rescheduled a "mommy makeover" two weeks later, because the patient had symptoms very similar to yours (fever, chills, aches and overall "lousy" feeling). I also asked her to visit her PCP to confirm that she will be medically clear for surgery. Listen to your "gut" and experience. While you couldn't delay the birth of your child, you can regroup when you are physically fit to undergo general anesthesia and recovery safely.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.