Can a child's broken nose be repaired before puberty if it was set badly?

My preschool-age daughter fell and hit her nose eight months ago. We took her to several doctors, who thought it would (and then had) heal fine. But as she has grown, it is looking to us like there is something wrong. Is there anything that can be done at this point, before she is a teenager? I am bringing her back to an ENT, but would love more info.

+1
If the nose is causing breathing issues or psychological issues this may be reasonable.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

A Child's Broken Nose and Teenage Rhinoplasty

+1
If the disfiguration is severe, there are possibly some options that could ensure proper healing, but most likely it is better to wait until she is a teenager to see how the damage heals naturally on its own. You would want to monitor the progress when she is 14-16 years old.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

+1
The answer is it depends. Issues of consideration include the degree of the deformity and whether or not the nasal airway is greatly affected.  Typically, one would wait to address a deformity until the child is a teenager if there is a purely cosmetic issue.  The reason for this is that the nose continues to grow until then.  An exception to this might be a severe dislocation or trauma to the nasal septum which can itself affect the growth centers in the mid-face; therefore, the answer is usually no, but it depends on the exact situation.  I hope this helps and best of luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Pediatric nasal deformities

+1

To be clear, it is uncommon to perform a rhinoplasty on a child.  There are 3 issues that I consider for such situations:  the severity of the deformity, how it impacts the child's breathing, and how it impacts the child psychologically.  If all of these issues are significant, I will consider performing nasal surgery but we always wait as long as possible and try to involve the child in the decision process.  Regarding who you should seek consultation from, the specialty is not important.  What is important is the experience level of the surgeon with pediatric deformities and associated breathing problems. 

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Noses

+1

Childrens noses develop and change over time. Make sure the person seeing your child has experience with nasal cosmetic surgery. Many ENTs do not do cosmetic surgery on children --- sometimes a doubly boarded -- ENT Plastic Surgeon would be the way to go. Also, the degree of deformity and the age of your child would determine when and if surgery would be planned.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD