Can I Have Children After a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 19 and have gone from 16 stone to just under 11 stone a loss of just over 5 stone, i have alot of excess skin and an abdominal bulge, i have been researching a tummy tuck procedure to remove this however my main concern is if i will still be able to have children in the future? I am not planning on having children anytime soon as i am only 19 but in the distant future :) but without this tummy tuck i really dont know what i will do about the skin as i cant see myself being happy if it stays

Children After a Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. You can have a safe and healthy pregnancy after a tummy tuck.  Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Pregnancy AFTER Tummy Tuck

+1

Having a Tummy Tuck will not affect your fertility nor your ability to become pregnant. However, a pregnancy will undo the achievements of the Tummy Tuck by re-distending the abdominal musculature and the skin above it. As long as you understand it, there is NO reason why you should not go ahead and enjoy the new body hiding under the loose skin by having a full Tummy Tuck now.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Pregnancy after a tummy tuck

+1

You can still carry a pregnancy after undergoing a tummy tuck, however you may require a revision afterwards.  Since you are not planning to become pregnant in the near future you may consider the tummy tuck now to have time to enjoy all of your hard work involved with your weight loss.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

YES you can have children after tummy tuck

+1

You described a weight loss from 11 stone to just over 5 stone, which corresponds to 32% weight loss. This is a huge change and results in hanging skin.  This can be corrected by a tummy tuck.  Tummy tucks resect skin and tighten underlying fascia with sutures.  In the future if you get pregnant, this tightened fascia may stretch or tear again and you may need a repeat tummy tuck after you have completed your pregnancies.  I recommend you undergo a tummy tuck now to correct the hanging skin and repeat tummy tuck after your pregnancies if needed.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/tummy-Tuck.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Children Possible after Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes, you can have children after a tummy tuck but often you will have skin redundancy which may require a revision in the future. This is the reason the majority of women have a "mommy makeover" after their last planned pregnancy.

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

I have had 2 patients who didn't plan to have any more children become pregnant after an abdominoplasty. Neither one of them had any difficulties with the pregnancy . One had no significant change in her results, and the other had significant stretching of the abdominal tissues, which diminshed her results.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Children after tummy tuck.

+1

It is possible to have children after a tummy tuck, however you may experience some feelings of increased fullness during the pregnancy since the tissue will be a little tighter. After the pregnancy the tummy tissue will have stretched a bit, but should still look much better than the extra skin you now have.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after a tummy tuck

+1

There is no problem with becoming pregnant and having children after a tummy tuck. This is not a rare occurrence at all. The slow stretch of tissues during pregnancy easily expands the abdominal skin. Since you are young and have never had children (and likely will), the muscle should not be tightened during your tummy tuck. The overhanging skin and fat should only be removed.

Web reference: http://www.eppleytummytuck.com

Pregnancy is possible after tummy tuck

+1

You look like a great TT candidate.  There is no reason you can't have healthy kids in the future, the only problem is maybe needing to redo the surgery if the stomach stretches out too much.

Pregnancy can affect the abdominoplasty result

+1

Judging from the photos, an abdominoplasty would likely give you a very good result.

The effect that abdominoplasty has on your shape tends to be quite dramatic.

In most cases muscle plication of the rectus abdominis muscle is an essential part of this operation, and in case of a new pregnancy, there is some possibility that this muscle repair might break down.

it is not sure that this happens, but it is possible so there is some possibility that the mucle repair need to be redone.

Web reference: http://www.beautymedicine.es/237-plastic-aesthetic-cosmetic-surgery/abdominoplasty-tummy-tuck-marbella.html/

Spain Plastic Surgeon