Can I Have Children After a Mini Tummy Tuck?

I already have one child, and as i am fairly young, i am not sure if i would want to have more later in life. I just want a mini tummy tuck cuz i'm not that far from my goal weight. I just have alot of stretched sagging skin from the pregnancy. Can i have more children later on if i have a mini tummy tuck now?

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tucks Should Be Delayed Until After Having Children As You May Need Revisional Surgery

+1
Any type of tummy tuck should ideally be delayed until the childbearing years are over.Any type of tummy tuck is intended to tighten the skin of the abdominal wall and, in many cases, tighten the underlying muscle layer.If you have children after you have had either of these two procedures performed, then it is very likely that the result will be compromised and you might need additional surgery to regain optimal contouring.

In the event that you become pregnant after either of these two procedures, your abdominal wall should stretch normally and not cause any problems with your pregnancy.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no reason you cannot have children after a mini tummy tuck, barring other possible medical concerns unrelated to mini TT surgery.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the questions.

Yes it is possible to have additional pregnancies safely after any kind of tummy tuck surgery.

Based on your description of “alot of stretched sagging skin”  you are probably not a good candidate for mini- tummy tuck surgery.

Generally, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Having children after a tummy tuck

+1

It is safe to become pregnant after a tummy tuck or mini-tummy tuck.  However, your cosmetic outcome can be compromised or changed from the skin stretching that comes along with a pregnancy.  If you are planning to have children a few years after a tummy tuck, then I would hold off on the surgery.  But, if you may not have children for say ten years after surgery, then it is reasonable to consider a tummy tuck to improve your appearance until pregnancy.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete physical exam and thorough explanation of your surgical options.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Having children after mini tummy tuck

+1

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

In this procedure, we can improve the contour of a woman's abdomen by addressing the extra skin and fat in her belly. Many of these patients whose muscle is in good condition and position, do not require a muscle plication.
You can most definitely become pregnant after a mini tummy tuck! Please keep in mind that pregnancy after abdominal surgery is possible to will change the ultimate appearance. In our practice, we have many patients that have become pregnant after a tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck and once they have completed the pregnancy process, they received a small revision to return their abdomen to their beautiful prepregnancy appearance.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Mini tummy tuck is not a good option for alot of loose skin.

+1

A mini tummy tuck is not a good option for alot of loose skin. Especially if it is loose above the belly button. If you read here, you will see plenty of people who were unhappy with their decision to proceed with a mini instead of a full tuck. The mini is great for an unsightly c-section scar with modest skin laxity, no stretch marks and minimal muscle separation.

Loose skin and mini-tummy tuck

+1

I f you have a lot of loose skin above and below the umbilicus, then  a mini-tummy tuck is not the best choice.

Pregnancy after a mini-tummy tuck

+1

A mini-tummy tuck (or a full tummy tuck for that matter) does not prevent you from having kids later on. The more common complaint is that the attractive results from the tummy tuck may be lost after the pregnancy and may require a touch-up operation to improve. The best option is obviously to wait until you are done having kids, but this is sometimes unrealistic.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Kids after Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

If you opt to have a pregnancy after undergoing a mini tummy tuck procedure, remember that the changes associated with a future pregnancy can potentially undo the improvements from you tummy contouring procedures.  Most plastic surgeons will recommend abdominal contouring once you are all done having kids.   But, abdominal contouring procedures will not prevent you from a future pregnancy.  Hope this helps.  Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS