Can You Have Children After Having a Diastasis Recti Repair?

Will the baby and wall muscles be able to grow properly if I have sutures in my muscles? Will it cause more damage to my muscles?

Having Children After Diastasis Recti Repair

+1

Yes you are able to have more children after having a Diastasis Recti Repair. You should be aware however that your skin in your abdominal area may stretch. As long as you are of the possibilities of your outcome.

Key West Plastic Surgeon

Child birth after tummy tuck

+1

You can have pregnancy after tummy tuck but you most likely will have to have a revision if things do not tighten up after surgery.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

I have at least two patients who had a successful pregancy and delivery after tummy tuck. They have not encountered any specific issues nor have they come back for a redo, one came back for a breast procedure.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Pregnancy After Diastasis Rectus Muscle Repair

+1

The slow stretching forces of pregnancy will have no problem expanding the rectus muscles, even if they have been surgically repaired by permanent sutures. Getting pregnant after a tummy tuck is not rare and they all go on to a successful pregnancy and delivery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

Yes, Ashely, you can have children after a tummy tuck with rectus diastasis repair. But obviously, the pregnancy will stretch your abdominal skin and muscles. After your delivery, your stretched abdominal area will shrink back towards normal, but it's hard to predict how much it will shrink. It may take up to a year for this process to occur, so I would wait at least one year after delivery before considering a revision of your tummy tuck. I hope that helps. All the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for yor question. The simple answer is yes. some women do get pregnant after child birth and can have normal pregnancy and delivery. This obviously will affect the musles and you may require redo tummy tuck.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Pregnancy after Repair of Diastasis Recti?

+1

Generally speaking, patients are able to have normal pregnancies after tummy tuck surgery or repair of diastasis recti.    
Depending on weight gain/loss,  changes in skin elasticity,  genetics etc. revisionary surgery may be necessary after the pregnancy.   
This is a situation where only time will tell.

Can You Have Children After Having a Diastasis Recti Repair

+1

Simple answer--yes. 

Before your tummy tuck, your abdomen was able to stretch out without difficulty.

When you think about it, a tummy tuck restores you to where you were before pregnancy or weight gain and loss.  

Once you have a TT with diastasis repair, your abdomen can again stretch out. Most of us who have been in practice long enough have a number of patients who chose (planned or otherwise) to become pregnant, and carried the pregnancies uneventfully.

Some of those do end up once again with lax abdominal tissues. 

Best wishes