Silicone Gel for Chickenpox Scars?

My son is 7 years old, and he had chickenpox a month ago. He has a very small pit on the forehead near the nose. I thought of using silicon gel for this. Will this help or should I try something else?

Worth A Try

+2

You might try silcone sheeting since it is relatively inexpensive and safe.

However, I would not hold out much hope that it will work. Chicken pox scars are notorious for not being responsive to treatment. Even the most aggressive CO2 laser treatment often clears every scars but will only improve but usually does not totally get rid of chicken pox scars. This is due to the fact that chicken pox scars are rigid and go pretty deep into the dermis.

However, it is worth trying to get an improvement.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Scar subcision rather than silicone injections for acne scars

+1

Silicone gel injections have no role in acne scar management.  I would recommend a more predictable and effective treatment, such as scar subcision. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.