Can Silicon Gel Help with Scar from Chicken Pox?

My son recently had chicken pox he had a pit on the forehead and on the cheek. How do I remove them or lighten them? Can silicon gel help me with this?

Melaquin for hyperpigmented chicken pox scars

+1

Chicken pox scars are usually atrophic and will benefit from subcision rather than silicone patches.  I also recommend Melaquin for the pigmentation of the scars.

Pitted chicken pox scar

+1

Silicon gel sheeting is less likely to help with pitted scars and more helpful with thickened, elevated scars. For pock-mark type scars, I have had good results with minor procedures such as saline subcision and localized application of strong chemical peeling agents (e.g. phenol). Filler injections are another option. I would only consider these treatments in an older child (teen-ager) if he expressed a desire to have such treatment.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Silicon for pox scars

+1

Silicon gel will help to ameliorate the effects of hypertrophic scarring. The silicon may help to make scars less red as well. In this regard, it may help. However, most pox scars are atrophic and in this aspect, the silicon may be of little benefit.