Otoplasty Rebound - is This Proceedure Normal to Hold the Tips Back?

I had otoplasty 5 weeks ago. Last week both my ear tips popped back out overnight. On one fold internal stitch popped out through the skin, on the ear the fold is almost gone. I went to my surgeon and he suggested that we do a small procedure on the tips only in which he will weaken the cartilage and use dissolvable external stitches to recreate the fold to hold the tips back. He doesnt want to go through the back of the ear in fear of opening other internal stitches which holds the ear back.

Do the Appropriate Operation

+1

I agree with the other experts, don't sell yourself short by trying to get by with a lesser procedure.  Revision with internal sutures is the right choice.

Dr. ES

Ears popping back 5 weeks post-op otoplasty

+1

can certainly occur but I can't say its very common that far down the road of recovery.  Photos would certainly help ascertain just how much loss of fold you have had but assuming complete loss has occurred as you describe, I would think you would need it redone as the internals sutures are integral at holding the ear where you want it.

Prominent ear recurrence after otoplasty

+1

Recurrence of all or part of the prominent ear shape after an otoplasty usually means one or more of the internal stitches broke. It happens.  It's typically pretty straightforward to go back and replace the stitches.  The stitches are usually made of a non-dissolving material because it takes cartilage a long time to heal into its new shape.  External dissolvable stitches is not something I've done.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

+1

Do it right, and redo the surgery, by internal sutures.........................................................