Am I Having Normal Post Surgery Results? (photo)

I had a revision rhinoplasty (both were open) about 4 weeks ago. Originally I had a nose with a cleft in the tip which was 'fixed' seven years ago. The results were not pleasant though and the tip of my nose became very bulbous. I went for a revision rhinoplasty to a well respected and Board Certified doctor and he suggested the tip be reshaped and rib cartilage be used to get a straighter nose line. I now have a crease above my lip and a strange dent at the tip on the left side. Is this normal?

Am I having normal results following surgery?

+1

Sorry to hear  you were not happy with your result.  You will still be experiencing swelling after 4 weeks, which can generally be influenced by the following:

1) Thickness of the patient's skin
2) Whether or not tip work was performed
3) Whether the surgery was a revision or primary

With rib cartilage in the tip, you will need a bit of time to heal. The surgery would not likely cause a crease to form above your lip. The "dent" you describe is an irregularity that may be caused by swelling, and it is too soon to jump to any conclusions about your result. When recovering from rhinoplasty, patients will all heal differently. With that being said, it is difficult to designate a specific post-operative issue as "normal." From here, I would recommend seeing how you heal and discuss any post-operative concerns with your surgeon. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.carolinafacialplasticsurgery.com/surgical-procedures/rhinoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

4 Weeks after Rhinoplasty Revision

+1

At 4 weeks, the swelling is too great to determine results.  You will need 6 months to get an idea, and a full year to determine your results.

Four weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

At four weeks after rhinoplasty, there will be a lot of swelling. Give it time to settle down, and then re-evaluate.

Normal or Abnormal Results Following Revision Rhinoplasty 4 Weeks Ago

+1

At 4 weeks postop from a revision open rhinoplasty procedure, it is much too early to make any judgements about the final result. You are seeing a shadow from the underlying cartilage that will likely evolve over time. Try and be patient  as the healing process continues.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon