Can smaller nostrils and a refined nasal tip be obtained without raising my nose bridge? (photos)

Is it Necessary to Alter the Bridge of the Nose?

+2
Thank you for providing the photos, as they are very helpful. Yes, it may be possible to improve the tip and reduce the alar base without altering the bridge of your nose. Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who can fully examine your nose and make his/her recommendations for the best result. He or she may find that the bridge might need to be adjusted so the nose looks more natural and is in harmony with the rest of the face.

How to narrow a nose

+2
Dear Dcoleman,

• Thank you for the photos
  • Yes, you can refine the tip and make it more narrow
  • It looks like the upper portion of your nose is narrow enough and you would like the lower part to match
  • Seek out a rhinoplasty specialist who can address all of your concerns

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Can smaller nostrils and a refined nasal tip be obtained without raising my nose bridge?

+2
   The tip can be refined and the alar base, reduced without altering the bridge.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty for smaller nostrils and narrower tip

+1
Narrowing the nostrils is accomplished with an Alar-plasty and involves removal of tissue at the base of the nostrils.  A tip rhinoplasty can narrow the lower lateral cartilages of the tip with suture techniques.

+1
The areas of your nose that concern you can be cosmetically improved with a natural appearing rhinoplasty without raising the nasal bridge.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive ethnic rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with.You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

No bridge change?

+1
The short answer is, "yes". But....as counterintuitive as it seems, adding to the dorsum in a nose such as yours can end up making the nose look narrower and better proprtioned and would be COMMONLY done.It is different than the typical caucasion rhinoplasty.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD