Rhinoplasty - Skin Draping and Shrinking over a New Nose?

About a month ago I had a closed rhinoplasty to remove a nice size bump, narrow my nose, shorten the tip, and upturn the tip just a little bit. My entire life I have had a bump on my nose. This March I broke my nose that shifted a little. After rhinoplasty my skin seems to present an allusion of a bump and a bit of asymmetry. However my nose has a very nice profile but in the front view I see some asymmetries. Is it possible that the skin is still trying to adjust to my new nose? How long will it take?

Healing process of rhinoplasty

+3

To answer your first question, yes, it is completely possible that the skin is trying to adjust. However, I would suggest waiting for 6 months to allow everything to heal and settle nice.

In addition, I would advise you to contact your plastic surgeon and schedule a follow-up to to discuss the issue directly, as he is in the best position to assess the situation.

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at one month

+2

At one month our from a rhinoplasty, all bets are off!. You have to give it time to  heal and for the swelling to subside. 

Noses heal for a year or more after rhinoplasty

+2

You really need to give it an entire year before judging the results of a nosejob. Early irregularities are often due to swelling. The nose will continue to change. If you are happy with most of the result up to now, give it more time. I also try to get my patients to minimize mirror use for a few months and "pretend they are a vampire."

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Healing from rhinoplasty

+2

One month is still soon after surgery, and you are experiencing swelling. 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first three months, and the remainder goes down over time. Overall, you may not see your final result for 18-24 months following surgery. It is important to be patient during the healing process, as it will take some time. In the meantime, I would recommend discussing any post-operative concerns with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty and Assymetry

+2

Dear Renap1,

You are in the beginning stages of your rhinoplasty recovery and you will see various asymmetries during this time. It is to soon to decipher any exact result. If your profile looks nice and you are happy with the overall aesthetics then just give yourself some time for all of the swelling to dissipate before any concern. I am sure your surgeon will welcome frequent visits for follow up appointments and this will help give you peace of mind during this recovery phase. Wishing you a speedy recovery and Happy Holidays!

Michael Elam, MD

Shaving and Grafting in the Office

+1

Although most surgeons will not operate on a tip for at least one year, the dorsum may be a reasonable candidate if there is obvious deformity at 3 months.

Skin shrinkage after rhinoplasty?

+1

what you see at this point does not represent what you will see at three and especially 12 months.

With that said if you see contour irrgularities and asymetries it could be due to true issues with the underlying structural elemets or it coulb be due to issues with the overlying skin. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD