Revision Rhinoplasty Doctors?

How do you know if someone is specializing in revision rhinoplasty? Besides looking for a double board certified surgeon how do you truly know that surgeon is A)Specializing in noses, B) Specializing in Revision Rhinoplasty, and C) Is good at revisions? How can a patient trust another surgeon? Also how should I know if the original surgeon is good at doing revision on his own patients? When do I know the surgeon to perform a revision is someone I can trust and is good at what he does?

Revision rhinoplasty and result

+3

A surgeon can say he is double, triple, quadruple board certified...so what.    I think he. she should be board certified as least in plastic surgery or facial plastics.  The quality lies in the results. Look for someone who is a talented surgeon and gets consistently great results.

Revision #Rhinoplasty Physicians

+3

Choosing a doctor is most likely the most important decision you can make when electing to undergo rhinoplasty or revision rhinoplasty for that matter. This is a very challenging operation that is not reflected by a board certified (plastics or ENT) or "double board certified" title (that is just ENT combined with "facial plastics" which isn't an official board recognized by the ABMS). You need to meet with doctors and look at their before and after photos and understand the training they have had in revision rhinoplasty. This is not a decision to take lightly as this is one of the most challenging operations as it may require harvesting cartilage from the rib or ear depending on your needs. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

How do I tell if the doctor is a rhinoplasty specialist.

+2

A surgeon truly interested in the art of rhinoplasty will often say so on his/her website.  Also, there should be a lot of rhinoplasty photos on his/her website.  Understand that a fair number of revision rhinoplasty patients do not want their photos on the web.  When you see the surgeon you should be able see how sincere he/she is and how excited he/she is about rhinoplasty.  Just ask. Without being self serving, I have given you a link below.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Selecting a Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+2

Selecting a surgeon is the most difficult decision a patient will make, especially for revision work which is a true sub-specialty. Look at the web sites of surgeons you are considering and their results in revision rhinoplasty surgery.

Revision Rhinoplasty Specialist

+2

The process to find a rhinoplasty specialist is very important.  Look for ENT/Facial Plastic Surgery credentials and board certifications.  Look for a surgeon who has performed thousands, not hundreds of rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty procedures. Before and after pictures, testimonials, computer imaging and open communication between yourself and your rhinoplasty surgeon are of paramount importance.   

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

Difficult question. The double board certification usually refers to ENT and the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery (which is indeed an official American board specialty in contradistinction to the comment above). Most plastic surgeons have websites, and I think that if you look at a surgeon's website and he seems to operate in a lot of areas (facelifts, eyelids, breast etc etc) it is less likely that he will be skilled in revision rhinoplasty as he/she is busy doing other surgeries.  If you find one with a concentration on, and lots of information on, rhinoplasty, then that would be a better bet.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficult questions

+2

Double board certified can also be ENT and Plastic Surgery. Revisions can be difficult, and if the surgeon is good and honest, they won't do it unless they think they can do it well. There are no guarantees in surgery only that the doctor will do their best.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Revision rhinoplasty can be rewarding

+1

The best surgeon to do the revision is the original surgeon. That surgeon has knowledge of your nose and what was done. If you do not like this option, the best approache is to visit some surgeons and discuss your case. The surgeon can show you pictures of cases and discuss your particular case.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consider chosing a plastic surgeon that has also completed a facial plastic fellowship

+1

For a revision rhinoplasty, ask the surgeon if he has done many of these procedures and to see pictures.  Experience in this area does matter.   Also, surgeons can be board certified by the ENT Board, Plastic Surgery Board, and there is also a Facial Plastic Surgery Board.   There are some surgeons, such as myself, who have done ENT residencies, Facial Plastic Fellowships and Plastic Surgery residencies and are board certified in these 3 areas..  There are not many who completed all this training, but there are some and I would look for that combination of training when deciding to do a revision rhinoplasty as these can be difficult surgeries.

Best regards,

Dr. Lane Smith.  

Lane Smith, MD

Double Board Certified Surgeon

+1

This phrase is used by a facial plastic surgeon, an ENT doctor with additional facial plastic surgery training.  You should realize that some plastic surgeons have 3 years of cosmetic and face training to begin.  Some fully trained plastic surgeons then go for an additional year for more cosmetic and face training.  Just make sure that the plastic surgeon has ELITE credentials who has performed hundreds of surgeries.