Is it normal to have drooping in eyes after lower bleph surgery? (Photo)

I had lower transconjunctival eye surgery yesterday and am concerned that my outer corners of my eyes are drooping a bit. Mainly the right one. And very swollen which I know is normal. The doctor said this will go back to normal in a few days but I haven't really seen others with this issue so I'm concerned something isn't right. I know they say the 2nd and third days are usually the worst so I'm trying to be hopefully but am starting to feel depressed like something is wrong. Should I be doing something?

Patience and time will help the lower eyelid drooping.

+2
After lower eyelid surgery 3 main things occur: !) the lid swells a little and therefore becomes slightly heavier,  2) the muscle of the lower lid, (which helps support and pull up the lower eyelid,) does not work as well for several days due to the recent surgery and, 3) the tissues of the eyelid are healing and that healing tissue is contracting and shortening.  All these contribute to the lower eyelid pulling downward.  All these issues should self correct.  Your surgeon may have you begin exercises to push and stretch the lower eyelid upward to speed this along.  Follow closely with your surgeon so your progress can be monitored.

Is it normal to have drooping in eyes after lower bleph surgery?

+2
appears very very early after surgery, so you must understand there will be swelling for at least 10 days! 

Oddly you are only showing us a lateral picture of your left eye.

+2
A straight ahead picture of the eyes is very helpful.  In general what is going on just one day after surgery is not how you will heal.  However, if you are ultimately going to have an issue with an eyelid surgery, then yes most people are aware of the issue almost immediately after surgery.  Generally transconjunctival lower eyelid surgery is less affected by lower eyelid contour issues because the muscle that supports the eyelid is not cut.  As you only just had surgery, try to focus on healing which also means being patient, following the directions of your surgeons, and for you, staying off forums like this for a couple of weeks that will just agitate you rather than comfort you.

Post-op lower eyelid bleph lid retraction

+2
You are only one day out from your surgery.  For one day you do not look bad and only have modest amounts of swelling and minimal bruising.  The swelling can pull on the corner and make it look like the lid is low.  For most patients this will resolve as the swelling goes down.  Use ice on the lids for 2-3 days.  Regular follow up with your surgeon.        

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lid droop after blepharoplasty

+2
Thank you for your picture. You are only couple days after surgery. You're going have some swelling and the lid position will not be completely normal. I would give this time. It should resolve. Follow your surgeon's advice. Good luck.

Earl Stephenson Jr MD DDS FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Blepharoplasty management

+2
It is very normal and is due to the swelling of the tissues. Think about it like this; if you hold a sheet up vertically its flat. Now put pressure on the sheet from behind and the top will be pulled down. That's what's happening to your eyelid from the swelling. 

Treat with ice and time. Your surgeon may reccomend upward massage starting at one week.

Good Luck!

David Shifrin, MD

Concerned day after eye lid surgery

+1
  • The photo suggests that you have normal post-operative swelling.
  • Swelling is normal and one eye usually swells more than the other.
  • Your maximum swelling is usually the 3rd day after surgery.
  • Follow your surgeon's instructions - reading and computer work will usually cause an eye to swell and ache more after surgery. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Lower eyelid swelling after blepharoplasty

+1
The short answer to your question is that it is very common to have some mild drooping after lower eyelid surgery even with the transconjunctival approach that has less risk of changing eyelid position. I would follow up with your surgeon. Typically, if the lower lid is down after 2-4 weeks, upward massage can help improve eyelid position.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon