Is this a lump of Juvederm forming?

This is my second time trying Juvederm lip injections in 3 weeks. I originally had them done and formed a small, white lump of filler on one side. It was dissolved and sadly so was the rest of the filler on that side. I went back to another doctor in the practice and she filled up that side again 2 days ago (Wednesday). If I have to get it dissolved again and then re-injected (I would have paid a total of $100 in injections fee due to these lumps) to even my smile, I am going to go nuts.

Irregular Lip Shape After Filler

+2

Juvéderm works very nicely for lip injections. I’m sorry it has not been that way for you. Gentle massage can sometimes be helpful to soften and disperse a lump. Uneven swelling can sometimes account for irregularities as well; so as swelling resolves these areas can improve. The lip probably is less forgiving than other areas when it comes to uneven filling or product distribution. Unless there were some gross distortions/asymmetries, I would prefer to allow some time for the swelling to subside before using hyaluronidase to break down the filler. That way you are not dissolving product unnecessarily. Discuss this with your physician so it can be addressed to your satisfaction.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Lump in lip after Juvederm

+2

Often times, immediate massaging of the lips can resolve any uneveness. In any case, lumps become barely perceptible after two to four weeks. You can gently massage the area a few times a day even at this point to smooth the uneven area. But warning, do not be too aggressive with the massaging, as it could cause further swelling making the bump look worse.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump after filler

+2

I would wait about two weeks to see if this is more swelling than anything else. If it does not improve then you may need to dissolve it. Ask if your doctor wants you to massage it.

Juvederm Lip Injections

+1

Juvederm lumps may form right after treatment, but massaging the area gently after the procedure can help prevent this.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon