Lip implants look odd, makes me look perma-smiling. Is my only recourse removal now? (Photo)

Lip implants done 1.5 weeks ago, I am very uncomfortable w/ my results & not sure how to approach my doctor about it. When in for consult, I agreed to 4mm on top, 5mm on bottom. Day of procedure, dr said 5mm on top & 4mm on bottom. I said I thought we had agreed to the other way around & was asked if I was sure several times, I said that's what I remembered. Now noticing edges of my implant on my bottom lip is too long for my lip and makes me look perma-smiling. Is my only recourse removal now?

Early Permalip Lip Augmentation Results

+2
At just less than two weeks from surgery, it is way too early to be judging anything about the results. You still have lip swelling and the tissues have not yet healed around the implants with scar relaxation/maturity. You should wait a minimum of 6 weeks, 12 weeks is even better, before you not only judge how they look but how your lips function as well with them in place.

Lip Implants After 1 1/2 Weeks

+2
The best way to approach your doctor about your concerns is to call him/her right away, and tell them about it. The key to great outcomes is always close follow-up with your surgeon, and that means calling with any concerns.

A lot of what is showing on your photo may just be swelling. Removing your implants after a week or two would be considered by many to be a bit hasty. I recommend that my patients use ice intermittently until the swelling is completely gone. This can occasionally take up to four weeks. Even after that, with the natural maturation of scar tissue, there is a period of about three or four months when the lips are settling down to their final appearance.

Aside from removing implants, they can also be replaced with different sized ones. This is not a difficult procedure, and occasionally is necessary. Your surgeon will be able to go over all of this with you.

In the end, having full, sensuous lips is well worth it.

Chris Himmelheber, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Lip Implants.

+1

At only two weeks, you are likely still swollen.  I would give this at least 6 weeks to 3 months before making any big decisions like getting your implants removed.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS