My surgeon prefers fat transfer instead of implants to correct lack of volume in the cheeks. Is this an equivalent alternative?

My surgeon, who I believe is an excellent surgeonand did previous work on me, is against using malar implants and prefers fat transfer to correct my lack of volume in the cheeks which still is apparent even after facelift . Is this really an equivilant alterative or should I find an other surgeon?

Cheek augmentation with fat transfer vs. implants

+1
Both facial implants and fat transfer to the midface are excellent options for cheek volume augmentation. Both techniques have their own risks and benefits. Patients with uncertainty about what option to choose (implants vs. fat transfer) should discuss their options with their Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Patients may also consider obtaining a second opinion with other Board Certified Plastic Surgeon shall it be necessary to take a decision about what option to choose.

Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Inceasing Cheek Volume

+1
A facelift will not significant improve the volume of your cheeks regardless of the technique which is used. Fillers or fat injections will temporarily increase volume but I prefer implants for a permanent  result. Discuss this option with your surgeon or get a second opinion.

+1
Without photos, it is hard to give you exact advice.  I have used cheek implants for over 25 years with great results.  If your cheek area is fairly flat, implants may be a good procedure.  If you just need a bit of plumping, I would use some type of filler such as Perlane or Voluma. 

Cheek augmentation with implants

+1
Fillers can be placed in the cheeks for a temporary augmentation. Cheek implants are a permanent solution to augmenting the cheeks. Cheek implants are composed of Silastic, are inserted through the intra-oral approach under brief general anesthetic as an outpatient surgical procedure. The implants are placed directly over the bone and are permanent. Fat injections are an alternative,  however the fat has a variable take rate which is unpredictable.  If patient's gain weight later on in life they will preferentially gain more weight in your cheeks due to the added fat volume in that area.

Voluma for cheek volume

+1
I recommend learning more about Voluma; this facial filler can last up to two years. Voluma will instantly volumize the cheek area giving you a younger appearance. Consult with your doctor to decide if this is the best option for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD