Advice Before Surgery?

I'm 5'1" and weigh 160lbs. I am really considering a bbl to shape my butt. I also want to loose at least 30 lbs but I'm not sure if it is best to loose them before or after the surgery. I don't want my future weight loss to affect my results but I also want to have enough fat to get great results. I guess my question is how much do I need to weigh in order to get the best results based on my height and still have some room to loose weight and look great after.

Should I get to my goal weight before or after fat grafting?

+3

The issue with the Brazilian Butt Lift is fat stores.  It is impossible to judge how much fat you have without seeing you.  2 people the exact same height and weight can have different amounts of harvestable fat on their bodies.  In general, I think my patients that have surgery when they are 10-15 lbs over their goal weight have the best results - in fact, many of them opt not to lose any more weight after the surgery because they are pleased with the reshaping! I think your best bet at this point is to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon now.  After seeing you, he or she will be able to guide you about weight loss.  Best of luck!

Brazilian Buttlift Candidate at 5'1" 130 lbs

+1

If a patient lost 30 lbs to weigh 130 lbs at 5'1", that individual may be a very good candidate for Brazilian buttlift.  A physical exam is often necessary to determine how the fat is distributed and whether the fat is amenable to liposuction.

Lose weight before or after BBL

+1

It is always best to be as close to your goal weight (and that the weight is a healthy and stable weight).  This will ensure that your surgical results are predictable and will be maintained in the long run.

Dennis Dass, MD

Advice about your weight before BBL surgery

+1

I really wnat to give you a great answer, but it is impossible to give you specific advice without seeing your body type and shape. I personally don't think that weight loss after surgery will affect your results, but this is based on my own experience with my own technique.  It really depends on how the BBL is performed and exactly what fat is taken as donor fat. You need to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon who does several BBLs per week. They will be able to give you an idea of exactly what result is realistinc and will be long-lasting. Good BBL surgeons are not easy to find, and this is why so many patients travel for the procedure.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Weight

+1

Your BMI at 5'1" and 160 lbs. is a little high. Your general health would probably benefit from some weight loss and would not effect your surgery

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Weight before a brazilian butt lift

+1

Typically you have to be about 20-30 above your ideal body weight before surgery. Without a proper physical exam it will be difficult to give you an accurate answer. 

Wilberto Cortes, MD

Aim For Your Stable Weight Before Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

Tough question to answer without photos of your buttocks, current weight, average weight and weight loss goal.  You should shoot for your stable average weight before any body contouring procedure including the Brazilian Butt Lift in order to get the best results.  Agressive dieting that cannot be maintained is not realistic, sustainable, or healthy.  You will need a minimum of 400-500 ml per side to have a significant effect.  This means that you will need approximately 2500-3000 ml of liposuction to have enough.  A bit more would help if you buttocks are very flat.   Youn need an in person consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon with significant experience in the Brazilian Butt Lift to give you the best advice.  Good luck!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

I'm 5'1" and 160 pounds and want to lose weight and have the BBL. What di I do?

+1

When wanting or needing to lose weight it's always better to do so before surgery. However with the BBl you need to have enough donor fat to get a good result. Therefore, before you begin losing weight you shoulk seek consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience performing the BBL to help guide you in preparing for the surgeyr. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Before any weight loss consult with the Plastic Surgeon of your choice

+1

Many patients seeking to augment their buttocks via Fat Transfer are disappointed to learn that they have inadequate donor fat to provide a good result. Some of these patients actually opt for gaining weight to undergo the procedure. Before you decide to lose any additional weight I would advise you to consult with a Plastic Surgeon first to evaluate the extent and location of your donor fat. Only then will you know whether it is best to pursue your weight loss goals first or to proceed  at your present weight with surgery. The last thing you want to do is sacrifice your donor areas and come up short with enough fat to transfer.

David A. Ross, MD

Weight loss timing depends on buttock goal

+1

Thank you for the question.  This is a difficult question to answer since it depends on what goal your are trying to achieve with your BBL and how much fat you have available.  If you have ample fat available to achieve what you would like then losing the weight before would be ideal. 

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD