Is there anything you can do for a old deep chicken pox scar on my forehead?

I have had a chicken pox scar in the middle of my forehead since i was younger. I am 27 now, and have had fraxel and dembrassion treatments done in past. I don't think it did much of anything and in certain lights my scar looks worse.

Chicken Pox Scars​ Respond Well to Subcision Combined Wtih Stimulatory Volumizers

+1

There are a number of methods for improving depressed (atrophic) chicken pox scars. Through the years I have found the subcision, which takes only minutes to perform, to provide relatively rapid and gratifying and long-term improvement.

Subcision, a procedure, performed under local anesthetic, that entails using a sharp needle-like device is first inserted to break up the scarred, heavily fibrotic tissue that makes up the base of the scar. Immediately following, a small amount of volumizing material is injected into the potential space just created by the prior procedure. An immediate lifting is seen and the area can be smoothed flush with the surface resulting in the immediate, gratifying improvement seen. As an added plus, six to eight weeks later, neocollagenesis (new collagen formation) occurs in response to both the subcision procedure and the presence of the volumizer--contributing to a much longer lasting improvement. The entire procedure takes no more than five minutes to perform, requires no scalpel cutting or stitches and entails no significant downtime.

If necessary, either immediately following the subcision, or at a subsequent treatment session, a volumizing filler, such as Radiesse can be injected directly underneath. This not only results in immediate lift and smoothing, but itself also stimulates additional new collagen synthesis four to eight weeks down the road.

Alternatively, an entirely surgical approach, which entails some downtime, may be used. Following local anesthesiia, the scar is "punched" out, using a cookie-cutter like instrument known as a punch and then stitched together. This is then followed in eight to twelve weeks by a technique known as manual scarabrasion, in which sterilized sandpaper is essentially used to blend the edges of the wound, allowing the area to eventually heal with little evidence of scarring.

Removing a chickenpox scar

+1

I would consider 2 options in your case. First, a simple excision of the scar would be a reasonable option. Another option would be an ablative laser resurfacing to blend the scar into its surroundings better, such as a ProFractional laser. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Chicken pox scar

+1
You could have a formal scar revision which would involve excising the entire area. It would leave you with a longer straight-line scar but not the current defect.  If the scar can be placed into the "wrinkle" lines, it may fade out and be barely visible.  Another option, which I think is well worth a try, would be a small amount of filler.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Chicken pox scar

+1

Treatment in addition to the ones you have had include: subcision of the scar, filler under the scar and botox relaxation of the muscles around the scar.

Subcision is the use of a sharp needle that is moved back and forth under the scar to release any scar tissue that might be tethering the surface of scar - like ropes pulling a tent down - you have to release these "scar ropes" so that the surface of the skin can be released and then filled in.

A filler such as Belotero can be put under the scar to lift and fill the scar after the release with subcision or at same time as subcision. Lastly botox might be needed to keep those muscles that flank the scar from wrinkling and dimpling the scar each time the eyebrows are moved.

Fraxel is great option also with subcision and botox - keep in mind a minimum of 4-5 treatments will likely be needed to see improvement.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Scar revision for chicken pox marks in Los Angeles

+1
Chicken pox scars are difficult to treat.  I would begin with a combination protocol including subcision and laser resurfacing for the scars. Our office specializes in scar revision in Los Angeles.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS